Power outage caused unformatted drive. What do I do?

lanceg321

First off, I'm a NOOB to UNRAID and to LINUX, but I am pretty technically savvy.  This latest issue with my unraid server has me baffled.  We had a major power outage a week or so ago and I've had trouble ever since.  I do have a power backup on my server for these occassions, but it doesn't seemed to have helped in this case.  Here's what happened:

• I booted up the Unraid server after power outage
  • When it booted, it automatically started a parity check, which I let it finish
  • Two days later when parity check completed, I noticed that disk4 was unformatted, but the parity completed successfully and the drive array is up.  All of my data appears to be in tact (from what i can tell)

After seeing all the warnings in the forums about dealing with unformatted drives, I don't want to make a bad move here.  My questions is this... since the parity is valid, and all of my files appear to be in tact, should I just format the drive and run parity again?  Also, running the reiserifs --check on the disk fails with: 

"reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/md4.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

--rebuild-sb."

What should I do from here?  Reformat the drive or rebuild option with reiserfs? 

Also, ever since the power outage, the web UI access to the server has been really flaky.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  Even using PUTTY I get the same result.  If try to telnet in 2-3 times, it usually works eventually.  Any ideas why this would happen after a power outage all of sudden? 

I appreciate any and all feedback.  I'm sitting idle until some direction.

Thank you!

Thanks for the pointer dgashik.  My syslog is attached.  I'm still working on documenting the hardware specifications, but this box has worked with no issues or hardware changes for the last 2 years, until the recent power outage.

Thanks Bucey7 for the reply.  I do have a UPS installed on the server.  ;)

Any ideas on how to move forward would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

disk_4_short_smart_test.txt

syslog-2014-11-23.txt

Do NOT format the drive unless you wish to remove its contents.  Read the instructions completely and then follow them carefully to reenable and rebuild the drive.

I followed the directions explicitly as you suggested dgaschk.  The drive was added back to the array, with no reported errors, after rebuilding the data in the array. However, it now shows a green ball, valid parity, yet it is listed as still being unformatted.  What would be next?  Now should I reformat it?  I appreciate the input.

Do NOT format the drive unless you wish to remove its contents.  Read the instructions completely and then follow them carefully to reenable and rebuild the drive.

I followed the directions explicitly as you suggested dgaschk.  The drive was added back to the array, with no reported errors, after rebuilding the data in the array. However, it now shows a green ball, valid parity, yet it is listed as still being unformatted.  What would be next?  Now should I reformat it?  I appreciate the input.

Do NOT reformat the disk unless you want to lose all its data.  As was mentioned the next step is to run a file system check to detect/fix any corruption at the file system level.

Archived