XBMCServer vs. MySQL

I have used MySQL for some time now to sync my library across multiple clients.  I struggle to understand the benefit/difference in using XBMCServer.  Can someone enlighten me?  What can XBMCServer do that MySQL can't?  What can MySQL do that XBMCServer can't?  Has anyone moved away from MySQL to XBMCServer for a particular reason?  Why?

TIA!

John

Xbmcserver still uses mysql(MariaDB these days).

The advantage of xbmc server is that it handles the DB updates, media metadata downloads, notifications from sickbeard etc.  this way your XBMC clients can be turned off but when turned on, thy are updated with all the latest med ou have intalled.

Handy when some xbmcsalud clients are low lowered arm type devices that song handle large media library updates well.

I figured one of the advantages of it was the "always on".  Since I use VMs for two of my HTPCs, this was really never a concern.  Now that I am adding more settop box HTPCs in some of the bedrooms (have no idea how I would get long HDMI runs to them from my server), maybe I'll look into XBMCServer.

I have another question that is kinda related...

I use external apps for scraping...NZBDrone for TV and TMM for movies and all.  All metadata is stored with the media files.  I want to start fresh with a new MySQL/MariaDB DB.  If I create a new DB and begin the process of adding my source in XBMC, what do I choose for scraper?  An actual scraper like "The TVDB" or "Local information only"?  I have been using the latter but wasn't sure if that was the right decision.

John

Correct me if I am wrong but none of the headless XBMC in docker are Kodi/Helix yet?

Edit:

So, what do you do on the client side?  Do you still use the advancedsettings.xml for mysql?  Do you use the "share db via upnp" and point them to the xbmcserver?  Both?  or does only the xbmcserver talk to mysql?

This is just another XBMC client but you dont need to turn it off so it can update the dbase 24*7.

All other XBMC clients still need to talk to SQL as well

Correct me if I am wrong but none of the headless XBMC in docker are Kodi/Helix yet?

I'm having a little play with docker at the moment, for the last couple of days i've been trying to cobble together a 14.04 based gotham headless xbmc container.

when helix goes final there'll probably be some info on the patches needed to compile headless version of it on the developement board at xbmc forum.

I think some people have got headless versions of one of the betas of helix.

Are you guys using this XBMCServer (available via the template):  https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server/

I'm trying to figure out how to get NZBDrone to send updates to it.  NZBDrone is able to talk to all of my XBMC VMs/settops via port 8080, user = xbmc and no password.

BTW...I do see that the template is opening ports 8089 TCP and 9777 UPD but I have no idea what for.  I thought that the 8089 may be the port for the webserver but still can't connect to it from NZBDrone.

EDIT:  Just saw this in the docker notes:

The webserver is automatically configured and started on port `8089` with the username/password configurable in `userdata/advancedsettings.xml`.

EDIT #2:  werner was nice enough to provide an advancedsettings.xml:  https://github.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server/blob/master/xbmcdata/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Just keep in mind that whilst there is WIP no version of Helix exist yet. This means that once the new XBMC/Kodi comes out in the next few weeks anyone using docker and mysql wont be able to update any clients since dbase versions are version specific

Ah yes nice spot. I looked and never seen that.

I was thinking this is where our focus should be because Helix is a very special stable that team XBMC would want us all to get on ASAP since it also marks the dropping of XBMC name for the Kodi brand.

Edit: FYI i think Helix bumps the dbase 12 version changes (78-90) one of which is patch that vastly speeds up scanning.

• 2 months later...

Chiming in with a related question...

I've noticed some people running multiple instances of XBMC/Kodi headless.  What is the purpose of this?  Does this take any load off the clients?

Currently I have 3 WDTV boxes which simply read files from my SMB share, but I'm considering switching to Kodi and am struggling to understand what the ideal setup is for it.  ATM I'll have a relatively powerful server with unraid, and very lightweight clients (thinking Pi or FireTV).