Server unreachable...need help

johnodon

v6b12...

My first real issue...

I just tried my first parity check and everything has become unresponsive...

No WebUI

Cannot access shares (including the flash)

No SSH

unraid IP is not pingable

My only way in is via IPMI but there is no console output (think may be due to my VMs taking ownership when they are started...seabios).

My only option is to hard power down via IPMI and bring it back online.

John

EDIT:  I hard booted the server.  I now have SSH and I can see the console in IPMI.  However, the only share I have is FLASH and I cannot reach the webui.  What should I do next?

EDIT #2:  It took about 5 minutes but everything came back.  It is running a parity check now.

The filesystems do a lot of checks when booting up after an unscheduled restart.. It takes a few minutes.. After an unscheduled restart the parity is also always done.. No need to worry..

Although the gettin unresponsive is an issue... How long was it unresponsive ?  When starting up a parity check all drives are spun up and during that time the system is indeed unresponsive.. Should not take to long though..

v6b12...

My first real issue...

I just tried my first parity check and everything has become unresponsive...

No WebUI

Cannot access shares (including the flash)

No SSH

unraid IP is not pingable

My only way in is via IPMI but there is no console output (think may be due to my VMs taking ownership when they are started...seabios).

My only option is to hard power down via IPMI and bring it back online.

John

EDIT:  I hard booted the server.  I now have SSH and I can see the console in IPMI.  However, the only share I have is FLASH and I cannot reach the webui.  What should I do next?

EDIT #2:  It took about 5 minutes but everything came back.  It is running a parity check now.

These are the toughest issues to fix because we don't have a syslog to point at what caused the hang/crash at the beginning.

We'll need to see if we can recreate this issue on one of our test systems.

I experienced another all out crash last night.  I have not had a chance to run an extended smart test on a suspect drive but I think this maybe the cause since I was downloading with NZBGet at the time and I think it was writing to that drive.

Anyway, since the server hard crashed I could not get to the syslog.  This made me start to think if a syslog server would help in this case so I searched and found this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8625.0

I have to plead ignorance when it comes to syslog servers so my questions are:

1.  Is this approach still relevant or is there a better way?

2.  Would this help to capture the syslog entries right up to the time of the crash?

John

Click the Log button in the upper right of the unRAID main WebGUI. The log will be updated in real time as long as the Log window remains open. Leave the window  displaying the log open. When the server crashes the log window will remain open. This window will contain a record of the log from the time it was opened. Copy the entire contents of the window into a text file. Attach the file to a post.

Archived