Solved:Transfer Unraid to new Unraid server

jermmd

I have my original Unraid server that is still going strong using old IDE drives (250-500 GB). I want to move all the data to a new Unraid server using 3-6TB drives. I don't want to buy another Unraid key because I have two already. My plan is to transfer all of the old data to the new server using the free three drive Unraid key and then somehow using the old key (not needed because the old server will be shut down) to expand the new server. How is this done?

Thanks,

Joe M.

I do not know how much data you want to transfer, but you could also just build the new system use your pro key on it (that will take down your old server) and then copy drive by drive to the new server..

If your new server supports it you could also just move all your harddrives to the new system and then move stuff off the old drives in-array..

I'm not sure what your suggesting. Can I copy data from the old server onto the new server and then use the old Unraid key on the new server?

Joe M.

Yes. But your key is tied to the specific flash drive so you would have to use it.

Sounds like what you want to do is use the free version on your new server, and use the old server with the key, and copy from the old server to the new. Assuming the new server with the free version will have the capacity to hold all of the data from the old server, this sounds like a good plan.

Then, all you need to do is copy the key file from the old server and put it somewhere safe. Next, replace all of the files on the old server's flash drive with the files from the flash drive you used on the new server with the free version. Then, put the key file you saved back on the old flash drive. The result will be the old flash drive with its key file, but with all of the unRAID configuration of the new server. Couldn't be simpler.

Not sure if you will need to run make_bootable again or not. Maybe if the unRAID versions are different you will.

Another possibility is to take advantage of the special offer for getting a spare key.

Archived