What to expect for Speed ?

Pducharme

Hi,

I have 2 Unraid Pro server.  1 consist of what is described in my signature, the 2nd one is only use to backup the 1st one using BT Sync.  The 2nd server is lower-spec (Core i3, 8GB RAM, SATA-2 onboard only) but i't still a server class Supermicro X9 board.  Both servers are connected at 1Gbps on a Netgear 24 Ports Manageable switch. 

I'm actually get only around 51MB/sec transfert (around 410 Mbps) using BT Sync.  I'm just wondering if I should expect faster than that.

Both servers run the latest BT Sync Plugin (by Phaze) on Unraid 6b12.

Speed.jpg.ea8dfd0948365211e388b27494ba9764.jpg

your syncing online to the cloud.

You limiting factor should be your upload speed followed by your slowest drive.

The SATA II controller is not an issue, its a 3 Gb/s connection, SSD can max that, but not a spinner.

What kind of speed are you getting when you move files locally on your LAN to unRAID?

your syncing online to the cloud.

You limiting factor should be your upload speed followed by your slowest drive.

The SATA II controller is not an issue, its a 3 Gb/s connection, SSD can max that, but not a spinner.

What kind of speed are you getting when you move files locally on your LAN to unRAID?

Jay, both servers are on Local LAN. 

In fact, I'm copying from 192.168.2.6 to 192.168.2.7 :)

I use BT Sync, but data do not travel to the Internet except maybe when I added the "share" in the BT Sync UI.

51MB/s is EXCELLENT for copying to a parity-protected array.  You're doing just fine  :)

Ok, thank you.  I expected it to be faster, but I guess it's all good.

Question:  When I copy to my main server, I got better speed because of my Cache SSD Drive ?  My backup server doesn't have a Cache disk.

I have 3x6TB disks in the Backup server (1 for Parity, 2 for data) and my main server is about 10x3TB (but only using 11TB yet).

Yes, when you have a cache drive, writes are directly to that drive -- no parity updates involved -- and are then moved to the protected array later.    Note that this means that data is NOT fault-tolerant when you write it to the server ... only later, after the Mover has run and moved the data to the protected array.

Personally, I prefer to have somewhat slower writes but know that when I write data to UnRAID, it's protected NOW.

Archived