File Access permissions are... gone?

Hi,

really weird problem: I wanted to copy and delete some stuff on my unRAID server, but don't have the permissions anymore. If I want to delete something, Windows 8.1 nags me that I don't have the needed rights/permissions ("You need the permissions from TOWER\nobody...." wait...what?).

If I want to copy something on it, TeraCopy (just a better file mover than the Windows integrated one) gives me the error that it "can't find the path". Right now the only way to copy/delete anything is via FTP directly onto each disk - FileZilla can't access / doesn't display the SMB network shares anymore as well.

Under "Properties" all permissions for every user are gone as well, I guess normally it should display at least some?

5jcqnjfz.jpg

unRAID: 5.0.5 Pro + Dynamix, didn't update/install anything before the problems started, just worked fine.

Already tried to search around for "Unraid permissions gone" etc., didn't find anything that matched. So yeah, definitely need some help here.

syslog.txt

Just to have mentioned it - because I don't know if there is a deeper difference to it than showing how much space is left on a network drive and giving it a drive letter- there are 2 ways of adding a network share to windows that I know of:

1.) -> Right Click on Computer -> "Netzlaufwerk verbinden" / TL: "Connect Network share" -> Add via IP-Adress or via name of the server "tower"

2.) -> Open Computer -> Right Click into the "free white space" (just not on a driver or something) -> "Netzwerkadresse hinzufügen" / TL: "Add Network address" -> Add via IP-Adress or via name of the server "tower"

I just did that in all 4 combinations :

1.) with name and IP

2.) with name and IP

No change in permissions, but "gerry" is now "nobody" (for all 4 new network drives).

84b8aqwe.jpg

Do you have another computer besides that Win8 one?  If you do try that one and see what happens.

I seem to remember that often these types of problems were in the configuration of the Windows computer.  Look in Control Panel under 'Credential manger' (at least that is what it is called in Win7.  Unfortunately, MS decided to rearrange-- randomly -- and rename many control panel functions in Win8!)  for any entries.  I seem to recall that deleting any credentials often fixed things for many people.

Do you have another computer besides that Win8 one?  If you do try that one and see what happens.

Tried that shortly after writing my last post. Checked with my backup Win 7 client and it got the same problem. (can't save/delete, permissions tower\nobody)

I seem to recall that deleting any credentials often fixed things for many people.

The credential manager (or like the German Windows wants it: "Anmeldeinformationsverwaltung", heh.) only shows my own Windows Live login for Win 8.1, nothing else.

Edit: Poked around a bit more and found out, that I can't access any of my private shares anymore - as it wouldn't accept my username/password. Public "secured" network shares work like they should (adding/deleting stuff).

So I guess something fucked with the rightsmanagement on unRAIDs side.

I still think its likely a problem on the Windows side. Unmap all mapped drives and then do

net use * /delete

from a Windows command prompt.

Then try accessing the folders with the UNC path like \\tower\sharename instead of mapping a drive.

Ok weird, that didn't help. BUT, while doing that I saw the "Login with different login information" (or however it's translated in English), I ticked the option, inserted my login name/pw and got the error that something else was already accessing the share with the same login. After 3 more times it stopped rejecting me and finally worked.

After a few quick tests it looks like everything works as it should. Don't know if Win 8.1 saved some wrong login info (even though I looked into the credential manager) or what ever else.

I don't even.... gaaaaah. Thanks for the help.

I still think its likely a problem on the Windows side. Unmap all mapped drives and then do

net use * /delete

from a Windows command prompt.

Then try accessing the folders with the UNC path like \\tower\sharename instead of mapping a drive.

Ok weird, that didn't help. BUT, while doing that I saw the "Login with different login information" (or however it's translated in English), I ticked the option, inserted my login name/pw and got the error that something else was already accessing the share with the same login. After 3 more times it stopped rejecting me and finally worked.

After a few quick tests it looks like everything works as it should. Don't know if Win 8.1 saved some wrong login info (even though I looked into the credential manager) or what ever else.

I don't even.... gaaaaah. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows and its networking/security issues.  (Since I realize that you are probably not a native English speaker, I am being sarcastic!)  I have a very limited experience with Win8 but MS did a real number on those of us who have to support Friends and Family members through weird choices in where they put system settings and the renaming of features-- example 'File History' for 'Backup and restore' and then hiding the 'Create a System Image' option.  (I have a teenage grand-daughter with a Win8 laptop and making (and having ) a system image of her hard disk was not an option but a necessity!)  ::)