server locking up yet again...

loady

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to echo Weebo's suggestion that you provide details of your hardware setup.

Your situation sort of seems like something I ran into when my SASLP-MV8 card went bad.  After a lot of troubleshooting (thinking it was software related), I pulled it and everything went back to normal.

In any case, knowing your setup would be a help.

ok...hardware as follows, please let me know if there is any other information i missed..

MOBO: Gigabyte P55A-UD5/P55A-UD5, BIOS F3 10/16/2009

RAM: 4 x 4gb DDR 3 (currently i only have two modules installed and have been swapping them around to help rule out memory)

PSU: cooler master thunder 700w

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU @ 2800

DRIVES:  Parity ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F1HFKN (sdf)

Disk 1 SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J1BZ912023 (sdc)

Disk 2 SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J1BZ912031 (sdb)

Disk 3 ST3000DM001-1CH166_Z1F1HFN1 (sdd)

Disk 4 SAMSUNG_HD203WI_S1UYJ1CZ316736 (sda)

Disk 5 WDC_WD30EZRX-00D8PB0_WD-WCC4N1HHRPPY (sde)

I am never a fan of just saying go out and get new hardware to see if that will solve your problem, but since you've already exhausted a lot of troubleshooting/swapping memory sticks and running memtest, it really is sounding a lot like a hardware issue... But, if you think about it, that mobo has given you many solid years of performance. 

That said, definitely try updating the BIOS first as suggested.  Could be just one of those things.

I managed to scavenge 2 x 4GB modules from another pc and put them in, the server did not crash overnight and completed the data rebuild, parity is saying not checke so i have initiated a check...still not holding my breath but hopefully in 8 hours it will have completed and i can carry on with the XFS conversion.

I am never a fan of just saying go out and get new hardware to see if that will solve your problem, but since you've already exhausted a lot of troubleshooting/swapping memory sticks and running memtest, it really is sounding a lot like a hardware issue... But, if you think about it, that mobo has given you many solid years of performance. 

That said, definitely try updating the BIOS first as suggested.  Could be just one of those things.

but this is why amazon and their very generous return policy exist.

but when in doubt, load unraid on an old ass pc, laptop or something else and see if it works. its sometimes hard to isolate hardware failures. I always have an old backup pc sitting around for fault detection (like a 6 year old desktop.. works good enough as a standby if needed).