bad read performance for some files

cayman22

hi,

i 'm using unraid server plus since 2011, with 4 disks and a asrock C2750D4I motherboard, 8 gb memory.

i try to copy a file from my unraid server  to my pc, and for some files the read speed is 10 or 12mb/s, and other files from the same directory and same disk i can read at 85 mb/s ! my problem was in version 5 so i ve just tried to migrate to the version 6 but it's the same.

the problem appear always on the same files.

i've tried it from 2 different Pc, the same issue.

i have no plugin, no docker.

does anyone know what is wrong ?

thxs,

syslog.txt

You say since 2011 so is this a new problem? If so what have you changed?

This syslog only includes 9 seconds of time, probably only the bootup. Attach one that includes the activity you are describing.

Could this be network related? What happens if you copy the files from one drive in unRAID to another drive in unRAID from the command line (or mc) in telnet or console?

thanx for your answer.

without any change, i noticed suddenly bad performance. i thought it was my previous motherboard, a gigabyte with a small Atom processor. so i upgraded in november for a real server motherboard , the asus c2750d4i , but the problem is still here. so i upgraded today to the version 6of unraid, but same problem !

with mc (i don't know before this command, thanxs !!) , i've tried to copy and the problem is the same ! :P

thanxs for your help !

You say since 2011 so is this a new problem? If so what have you changed?

This syslog only includes 9 seconds of time, probably only the bootup. Attach one that includes the activity you are describing.

Could this be network related? What happens if you copy the files from one drive in unRAID to another drive in unRAID from the command line (or mc) in telnet or console?

Are the files which are giving you problems all stored on the same disk whereas the files which work are stored on another disk? (IE: Disk 1, Disk 2, or Disk 3).

From the snippet of the syslog, there's nothing really obvious which may be causing a slowdown, but it would probably also be helpful to post another full syslog and smart reports for your drives AFTER you copy some files that are slow.

the slow files are mostly on disk2 and disk3, but these disks have also speed files.

there s no error on system log, only my telnet connection. here is the 2 system log.

is there any defrag to do , like windows sometimes needs ?

thanxs a lot.

update : disk1 seems to be always quicker !

Are the files which are giving you problems all stored on the same disk whereas the files which work are stored on another disk? (IE: Disk 1, Disk 2, or Disk 3).

From the snippet of the syslog, there's nothing really obvious which may be causing a slowdown, but it would probably also be helpful to post another full syslog and smart reports for your drives AFTER you copy some files that are slow.

syslog_after_copy.zip

syslog_before_copy.zip

config.JPG.3fec923b77755dda508bc8d1c30ef92c.JPG

There's no errors in the syslog at all.  Either before or after.

There is no defrag for ReiserFS, and even if it was defragmented it wouldn't account for those huge speed differentials your seeing.

If it was different files, then would could point the finger at windows or unRaid.

If the slow files were all on the same drive, it would be easy to point blame.  But if there are on different drives then its not the hard drive.

What if you moved them from unRaid to Windows, then back onto the server then back to windows what the speed would be (ie: make a new copy of it on the server)

What are the sizes of the files in question versus the size of the files that transfer fast

update : disk1 seems to be always quicker !

By quicker what do you mean?  A huge difference, or only a couple MB/s?

hi,

there is :

disk1 :295 Gb free /2 Tb

disk2 : 404 Gb free /2 Tb

disk3 : 514 Gb free /1,5 Tb

My pc : 416 Gb free / 750 Gb

disk1 and disk2 are same model.

i v' tried to copy in a telnet session from disk2 to disk1 or from disk3 to disk2 or from disk2 to disk3, the same result :

some files is read at 80 100 Mb/s, and some at 10 Mb/s ! i've tried with big files (4 Gb) and with small files (500 Mb).

if i read files from disk1 , the speed is always more than 70 Mb/s !

thanxs for your help

update :

i've just tried to delete my config on my flash disk, and reboot with fresh install : the same files are slow....

How full are your unRAID drives? How full are your Windows drives?

Archived