Btrfs Raid 1 Persistence?

landS

Good day crew - I am using 2 1 TB WD Red drives as a cache pool (v6b12)

After booting up TOWER2 the 2 Cache drives show as 2 TB worth of unprotected Cache available.

By navigating to MAIN/CACHE/CACHE and clicking onto Balance (-dconvert=raid1 -mconvert=raid1) I can convert the array to a Raid 1 and I see 1 TB worth of data post Balance.

How do I keep the balance / raid 1 selection persistent?

Thanks everyone

FYI I can fully saturate my networks writes to a raid 1 cache pool... NO need for additional speed of a raid 0 .

Clearly that's what he's asking.

landS => I infer from your question that when you reboot the array the cache is reset to RAID-0 ... is that correct?

I don't have a cache, so I can't confirm the settings -- but if you've made and applied these changes they certainly should be persistent [be sure you're checking any "Apply" button that may be on the configuration page].    If the setting is not retained after a shutdown/reboot,  I'd send Tom a note [ [email protected] ] and outline the issue ... you could just include a link to this thread.

thanks Gary - when we have power back up consistently (middle of a blizzard here) I will pound away on this.

The first 2 reboots after starting up a cache pool I had to rebalance for the capacity shown on the cache drive to indicate a raid-1.

agreed - and in all honesty I did do a new config... so it could have been something other than the disabled disk. 

The only things that changed with new config

1 - disk 3 became disk 2

2 - disk 2 (disabled - no data) removed

3 - disk 4 removed (2 TB WD drive - spot to be taken by a 4 TB hgst)

I do not really want to play with bad 3TB disk now - but willing to ship it off if any MOD wants to mess with it.

Strange behavior => a disabled array disk certainly shouldn't have any impact on the cache !!

Indeed. Perhaps it was to give the user an option of using part of the cache-drive as a replacement data-drive? Might just have been a data-drive error causes cache-drives bit to not execute...

Archived