unRAID Server release 4.5-beta6 available

seems the whiners are not limited to three letter nicknames (and I reaaaally doubt they are as few as mentioned... in fact I am not so sure which side has the fewer)

anyway weebo I agree this thread could be split in two: (1) pure beta reporting (if there is any point), (2) us "bad" people whining to each other about Tom

fair?

this would suggest there IS someone that actually maintains the forum though :D :D :D

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To throw another post in here that is really off topic...  Is anyone who is here complaining about support also someone who attempted to contact Tom directly (as instructed here: http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/support) and didn't get any response.  I read the support page and it seems pretty clear to me that the forum and wiki are community support.  If you want lime support, fill out the online form or send an email.

Personally, I want 5.0 to show up so I can get an update of bubbaraid.  That is something I would pay for...

I'm with BubbaQ.

My data has been safe for the last two years.

I've added discs to the array without hiccups.

The information the web-interface provides such as hard drive temps are all I needed to keep things running smooth.

I am able to stream blu-ray to my HTPC without any slowdowns.

If adding bells and whistles amounts to breaking a great product. I don't want them in there.

Unraid has been doing everything it's advertised since I researched and bought it two years ago.

I thought we split the threads (well added a second thread, actually splitting them would mean there is an active operator to do it).

The issue is not if unRAID does what it advertised two years ago. It does. In fact having the same or compatible hardware to current version, it will most probably do it for as long as there is life on Earth (and maybe afterwards but it won't matter) and a mechanism to replace dead drives with fresh ones. And some way to supply electricity.

Also, I am sure we can find working Honda Accords from the early 80ies (since someone brought up the model)...

WOW!

TWO WORDS after so many months.

Great!

To those saying that 'complainers' should just shut up, here's something interesting:

http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/news/3-newsflash/4-new-website-launch

New Website & Other Things

Written by Tom 

Saturday, 28 March 2009 00:00

[...]  we are launching an ad campaign at AVS Forum.  Some of you many remember the monster thread where we first announced unRAID Server.  I can't say enough about how nice the folks are over there and we are really looking forward to working with them.

So, there WERE times when he was hungry, and he cared about forums, and about customers.

(...yeah, those nice folks over there at the AVS Forum!  -=sigh=-)

Unraid is a great product. And this is exactly why I am so strongly conflicted by Limetech's attitude.

Yours,

Purko

I'm not really on either side of this debate, but...

That is it???

That is all Tom has to say after the extended silence?  I don't get it.  Why even post that if you're Tom?  People have been complaining about his absence for some time and that's his reply?  Again, I don't get it.

unRAID Server 4.5-beta6 Release Notes
=====================================

Changes from 4.5-beta3 to 4.5-beta4
-----------------------------------

Other changes:
- Support SAS (Serially-Attached SCSI).
- Support Initio 162x SATA chipset.
- Support the motherboard speaker (beeping).
- Added 'lm_sensors' package.
- Upgrade Samba to version 3.3.3.
- Upgrade memtest to version 2.11 in release zip file.

The current 4.4.2 unRAID is using Samba 3.2.3, and it appears from the above that the 4.5 betas of unRAID have Samba 3.3.3, the SambaWiki suggests here:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

that more support for Windows 7 clients is now available in either Samba 3.3.7 or 3.4.0 (though you might still need to make a registry tweak).

Ii is possible that these fixes are not really necessary for unRAID as it is only acting as a workgroup server not a domain controller.

Regards,

Stephen

And the funny thing is, who is gonna move it? :D :D :D

sorry guys, sorry Tom, couldn't help it ...in my defense, seems that everything there is to say about 4.5b6 and everything Tom needs to hear about it, has been said... I am sure ;D Tom will strike us with an unbelievable new release soon(ish) making this thread obsolete

I don't understand all the white knighting in this thread. I can see liking something and wanting to defend it but come on now, there are some valid points being made here.

Last year I bought a server plus UnRaid Pro from Limetech. It was a good deal - didn't cost much more than it would have cost me to buy piece by piece on Newegg (which I imagine is where Tom got everything) and it was all put together and tested. I could have done it myself easily, but the price was right and it saved me a lot of time. Good deal there.

After a few months I ended up removing the flash, adding an SSD as a boot drive, and installing a regular OS on it, then moved to a regular RAID system. UnRaid the software turned out to not be what I needed. It's overkill for a media center centric system (even though it was designed to  handle just that) and far too underpowered to do much of anything else. I was all on board with it anyway since it seemed like Development was going at a fast pace and new features, like Active Directory support, were being added, but then well.... we see in this thread what happened there.

Obviously life interfered with Tom and Limetech and hey, it happens, but he's making the same major error all small software development shops make when things get tough - head goes in the sand, customer contact goes out the window. When you leave it to forum fanboys to white-knight you instead of keeping everyone up to date yourself, there's a problem, no matter what the reason.

I don't feel ripped off by Tom/Limetech - I still got a good deal, hardware wise, and worst case I can just consider the cost of UnRaid to be an "assembly fee" of some time - but I'm disappointed. This product had a lot of potential beyond media centers, which in addition to being a very niche market is one it wasn't serving well to begin with - UnRaid is way overkill for a simple movie share, and requires too much tweaking, fussing with split levels, etc etc to suit most people. It could have done much better as a small to medium business file server system - there's a growing market for large, reliable storage in that space, that doesn't involve RAID or hugely expensive storage arrays from Enterprise vendors (or slow as heck Cloud storage).

It is what it is. Sad to see; there's a lot of potential being missed here.