unRAID Lets Users Format a Replacement Disk

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

unRAID OS Version: Not sure. Maybe all of them.

Description: Users make the mistake of formatting a drive when what they really intend to do is rebuild it.

How to reproduce: Replace a drive.

Expected results: unRAID should not allow the user to format the replacement drive.

Actual results: unRAID lets the user format the replacement drive.

Other information: I have not experienced this myself but there are a number of threads I have been involved in where this has resulted in data loss.

See these:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35152.msg327142#msg327142

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37490.msg354697#msg354697

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36788.msg342212#msg342212

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36799.msg341863#msg341863

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38247.msg354523#msg354523

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38247.0

Devil's Advocate:

Its not a bug per se.  unRaid is only doing what its being told to by unknowing users.  Its only a question of confirmations.  Following a user's direction is not a bug / defect.  (Semantics, I know)

The way that unRaid works is that anything you do to an emulated drive is going to wind up getting written to a rebuilt drive.  I can (potentially) see situations where you would want to format an emulated drive (waiting for an RMA, drive structure is totally messed up, screw it... Lets just format the thing and start over).  Would I personally do it - no, but I can see where in certain situations it may be valid to do it.

When I was in the process of converting over to XFS from Reiser, I continually checked and double checked the drives to make sure that I was selecting the correct drive to be XFS.  And then checked again before I hit format.

What I think the system should do is when it tries and fails to mount a drive that's selected as anything other than auto, it aborts, retries the mount as auto, then if that succeeds pops up a warning stating that Drive x is already formatted as y File System and contains z data.  Are you really sure that you want to format it and lose your data?"

The upshot is that this way it handles all of the reformats where the user doesn't intend to actually reformat it.  And isn't that what this report is actually about?

What I think the system should do is when it tries and fails to mount a drive that's selected as anything other than auto, it aborts, retries the mount as auto, then if that succeeds pops up a warning stating that Drive x is already formatted as y File System and contains z data.  Are you really sure that you want to format it and lose your data?"

This is a great idea/alternative.

Good idea!

UnRaid had always had something of a no training wheels philosophy, depending in an informed user making good decisions. I've always tried to post about how unRaid works to prevent mistakes. But someone commented on another thread when I explained that changing the FS and rebuilding a disk could never work if you understand how parity works. The comment was users don't care how it works. It was a eureka moment for me. Users expect this to be an appliance and don't want to know how it works. Unless LT protects them, users will keep making mistakes and losing data.

I love being an example here..  :P

If the webUI had a warning (one that made sense to me at that moment) when the array has a disk missing/unprotected state and you put a drive back into that same slot to tell you what needs to happen to rebuild the disk and that you MUST NOT change the file system prior to or you lose all that data, that'd be great!

To me the warning stating something like "if you say yes the drive will be formatted and your data will be lost" sounds to me like the standard run of the mill warning that "if you format a drive whatever is on THAT drive will be lost" which I do not interpret to mean the rebuild process of data from this process will be lost.

Call me a noobie or whatever, but a format of a drive will obviously erase data on THAT drive, which to me was empty, so go for it!

With the adding of multiple file systems and the recommendation to switch to XFS (which Limetech has recommended in one way or another to switch away from RFS) it is just too convenient at that time (without knowing the consequences) to select the different file system and hit "go".

I wouldn't call it a bug either, but I DO think it needs some attention however maybe just from bonienl to add some different warning or message to the GUI.

I suspect it's actually much more serious than that.

If you use the Opera browser and your last command was to format a drive, as soon as you open the browser, it will reissue the command, just like it does for Shutdown if your last command was shutdown

To me the warning stating something like "if you say yes the drive will be formatted and your data will be lost" sounds to me like the standard run of the mill warning that "if you format a drive whatever is on THAT drive will be lost" which I do not interpret to mean the rebuild process of data from this process will be lost.

It does currently say this (I think when you hit the checkmark), but its still not super clear as you've said...  And, when was the last time anybody actually read one of those confirmation pop ups  - (Has anyone ever actually said NO when Windows pops up a UAC warning?)

I think my idea about attempting to remount the drive as auto and then warning prior to formatting will significantly lessen the number of times this happens in all situations that this can potentially happen... Not just when rebuilding a drive

• 2 years later...

Please implement a feature so that this doesn't happen again.  I stepped into this trap, and it has cause me a great deal of stress/pain etc.  I suggest that the warning is activated for attempted formats during rebuilds. For the most part Unraid is a dummy proof program, in this case it is not.

Edited by FrozenGamer
On 4/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, FrozenGamer said:

Please implement a feature so that this doesn't happen again.  I stepped into this trap, and it has cause me a great deal of stress/pain etc.  I suggest that the warning is activated for attempted formats during rebuilds. For the most part Unraid is a dummy proof program, in this case it is not.

Please elaborate on exactly what happened.