SMART Status and statistics showing Faulty

femin

It is doing a parity sync.

Is this the first time you have started the array with the parity drive installed? If so, then it has to do the parity sync so your parity will be valid.

Or did you power off your unRAID server without first stopping the array? If so, then that is considered an unclean shutdown and unRAID will do a parity sync the next time you start it to make sure parity got written correctly since you didn't give it a chance to complete what it might have been doing when you powered it off.

Let the parity sync complete and then you should be good.

Recommend you put your unRAID on an UPS to prevent an unclean shutdown in the event of a power failure.

Just switched from Windows Server to Unraid.  Dashboard showing my PARITY drive is Faulty?  but it has been working all these years no problem,  what does this mean?

Short answer, parity has not been fully created or checked yet, so you aren't protected against a drive failure yet.

The red smart indicators may show that both the parity drive and disk 1 have issues, but until you examine the smart reports and possibly post them here for evaluation there is nothing that can be said definitively about their condition.

Lastly, just because a drive has been working for years doesn't mean it isn't about to fail. All hard drives eventually fail, the important thing is to accurately predict when.

First, let your Parity Sync finish as the others have suggested.  If there is still a problem, post a syslog.  For instructions, see here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9880.0

Next, for any drive on the Dashboard page with a Red 'thumbsdown', post a health report/Disk Attributes from the Health Page.  (You can get to the Health Report from the 'Main' Page.  Double-click on the Disk number (i.e., "Disk 1") and you will see the 'Health' Tab, Click to open that tab and click on the 'Disk Attributes' in the box.)

Click on the device name in the main > array devices screen.

Click on the health tab.

Click on the Disk attributes button and post the results.

Click on the Run Disk Selftest

Select short test, wait, then click on the Disk self-test log and Disk Error-log (if any) and post the results.

When you have a few hours and the server will be unused, you can Click on the Run Disk Selftest and select long test (which will take a long time i.e. hours.).

When it's complete click on the Disk self-test log and Disk Error-log (if any) and post the results.

You can skip the short test if you have time to run the long test.

When you have a few hours and the server will be unused, you can Click on the Run Disk Selftest and select long test (which will take a long time i.e. hours.).

When it's complete click on the Disk self-test log and Disk Error-log (if any) and post the results.

As an aside, has the coding been changed to keep a long test from being interrupted by a spindown? Since the test is now part of the main interface and not an addon, it would probably be fairly trivial to change.

In my opinion both disks are OK to use but they do have high hours on them and they both have Reallocated Sectors on them.  If that count increases, you should probably consider replacing it/(them) ASAP.  In the longer term, keep a good eye on any high hour disks that have symptoms such as these that may indicate a potential disk failure.

The UMDA CRC Error Count indicates a data transfer problem outside of the disk--- between the disk and the motherboard.  Possibly a cabling issue (defective or loose cable) or a bad disk controller.  Since you are recycling these drives from another use, it may be that problem is not an issue at this point. 

Those drives are only good for doorstops.  I wouldn't waste any time with them, and I especially wouldn't be using that drive for parity. 

Parity is the keystone to unRAID, and with a potentially failing drive you're really asking for trouble.

The part number shows me they're HP branded drives.  I'm guessing they're used drives off eBay or something?

Parity is the keystone to unRAID, and with a potentially failing drive you're really asking for trouble.

Logically, since if I can lose any single drive and recover, but any 2 or more drives and I lose the data on all dead drives, I would prefer to have the parity drive fail, because I haven't lost any data on it. If you lose 2 data drives and the parity is still ok, you gain nothing because you still have nothing from the 2 data drives. Unraid requires ALL remaining drives to be healthy to recover from 1 failure.

I would argue the parity is the least important of the drives for the sake of data redundancy, and the most important for performance, as each write must touch the parity drive, but reads only involve each individual data drive.

I would argue the parity is the least important of the drives for the sake of data redundancy, and the most important for performance, as each write must touch the parity drive, but reads only involve each individual data drive.

This reads eerily familiar to a debate a few weeks ago. (as I had the same view point).

Those drives are only good for doorstops.  I wouldn't waste any time with them, and I especially wouldn't be using that drive for parity. 

The part number shows me they're HP branded drives.  I'm guessing they're used drives off eBay or something?

This was a server I purchased from HP few years ago.  the 4x2TB came with the server.  If i were to buy a 4TB to replace the 2TB parity drive, do I gain any additional total space since the rest of the DATA drive are all 2TBs.

This was a server I purchased from HP few years ago.  the 4x2TB came with the server.  If i were to buy a 4TB to replace the 2TB parity drive, do I gain any additional total space since the rest of the DATA drive are all 2TBs.

Not until you also upgrade a data-disk.

Not until you also upgrade a data-disk.

But if you do decide to replace parity it would be a good idea to make it bigger since you can't have any of your data disks bigger until you do.