Parity Status: Data is invalid, but green light on main screen?

So i have 5.0 UnRaid and on my dashboard in the Statistics section it shows my parity and other drives are green.  But below in Parity status it says "Data is invalid" in red.  The main tab also shows my Parity drive and other drives green and says they are functioning.  How do i know which is telling the truth?

Im starting to get errors on one of my disks so i want to make sure i can properly rebuild.

Sounds like parity has never been successfully checked. However, before you take any actions that could jeopardize your data, I suggest zipping and posting a current syslog, and smart reports for all your disks.

If you don't have current backups of irreplaceable data, I suggest you get that data backed up before doing anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry this was a bit confusing of a reply, im not sure what your saying to do.

Obviously the drive is bad and i need to replace it, my problem is i dont know if my Parity drive is crapped out now or if it was ever built properly?

One page says my Parity is good, the other says its invalid...i hate to take the drives down and out without the parity working.

Quick summary of the situation as I understand it right now.

1. You physically removed disk 1 but did not rebuild the array without it, so it's being emulated by parity+all other disks.

2. You do NOT want to keep any of the data that is currently being shown on disk 1. This data would still be available right now through any user shares that may be on the virtual disk1.

3. You are seeing errors on one of the other data disks.

Setting a new config will immediately permanently lose all data that is currently available at \\tower\disk1

Is that what you want?

Maybe we should consider trying to backup the data on the bad disk2 before having the array rebuilt without disk1. It is obviously not possible to rebuild disk2 from the current state.

And, any bad spots on disk2 will corrupt the virtual disk1, which I'm still not sure is ok to remove based on what's been said here.

The OP hasn't yet confirmed that the 1.15TB worth of data on disk1 is all ok to delete.

Maybe we should consider trying to backup the data on the bad disk2 before having the array rebuilt without disk1. It is obviously not possible to rebuild disk2 from the current state.

And, any bad spots on disk2 will corrupt the virtual disk1, which I'm still not sure is ok to remove based on what's been said here.

The OP hasn't yet confirmed that the 1.15TB worth of data on disk1 is all ok to delete.

Not really clear whether delete even applies to disk1. It is just not currently assigned. Possibly any data that was on it is still there. However, that doesn't really help with the parity since it is unknown whether anything has been written to the virtual disk / parity since it was unassigned.

To more clearly answer the OPs original questions, parity cannot be considered valid because a disk is missing from the array. Therefore it is not currently possible to rebuild any disk.

Not really clear whether delete even applies to disk1. It is just not currently assigned. Possibly any data that was on it is still there. However, that doesn't really help with the parity since it is unknown whether anything has been written to the virtual disk / parity since it was unassigned.

To more clearly answer the OPs original questions, parity cannot be considered valid because a disk is missing from the array. Therefore it is not currently possible to rebuild any disk.

Actually, I guess you could technically consider parity valid for one purpose only and that is rebuilding the missing disk. However, it is not clear that would be successful with the disk2 problems, and it doesn't seem to be the OPs intention to rebuild disk1 anyway.