[Out of Stock] Seagate Archive 8 TB - $263.02

mdoom

My understanding is this will require setup/config of the RAID array in a windoze box. Software is windows only. I haz no windoze PC, only laptops now lol.

I don't think so.  The manual shows how to configure the RAID modes by simply using the jumpers on the card.  You change the "Set" jumper so it allows changing the config;  then set the RAID jumpers as desired [For either port multiplier mode; RAID-0, RAID-1, or "Large Mode"];  and then you change the "Set" jumper so the config will be persistent.

The "Large Mode" is a slick option ... won't be as fast as RAID-0 (since it doesn't stripe the data), but it allows you to combine 2 drives of different sizes.

The SYBA card is also interesting ... but I like the 2-drive drive-mounted card better.

r.e. the SYBA card ...

If you want to use it in port multiplier mode you have to have a PM capable SATA adapter.    Many port multipliers support daisy chaining, but it's not clear whether or not this one does.    Not sure you'd want to do this anyway, as going beyond 5 drives starts to really limit the bandwidth on the individual drives.  (even 5 drives will slow things down on parity checks, rebuilds, etc.)

Like the little 2-port gadget, the SYBA card lets you set up the RAID via jumpers, and also supports a "Large" mode ... which I presume is the drive-combining mode detailed by Addonics (SYBA's documentation doesn't detail what it does).  I presume this is all the configuration needed ... although their specifications list a "Software Requirement" that only includes Windows OS's => if there is actually a software requirement, then this won't work with UnRAID.    I don't think that's the case, however, as the specs note that "... no driver, BIOS, or software required for RAID operation."

Edit:  When you get the card, be sure and provide a bit of feedback on how the various options work [assuming you're going to "play" a bit with it  :) ]

No I was not looking for port multipliers, I have enough SATA ports and not enough RAID-0s, so I was looking for at least 4-port hardware RAID-0 for 4x2TB=8TB parity setup. Those tests are closing, tomorrow the preclear will, hopefully, complete and I will start torturing  ;D

But the Addonics idea of mounting it directly on the drive is absolutely brilliant. I've already ordered three of those puppies so we will see, if they really can daisy-chain... possibilities to fool unRAID would be endless!

Of interest will be unRaid's ability to spin down the drives, and also ability to access SMART data of the drives behind the controller. The Areca had some arcane commands but it will spin down the disks, report spin state, and can get SMART data.

... although their specifications list a "Software Requirement" that only includes Windows OS's => if there is actually a software requirement, then this won't work with UnRAID. 

The card communicates with the system via single "host-side" SATA port, nothing else, so I bet my hat there is absolutely no need for any driver, any OS dependencies, etc., whatsoever.

Edit:  When you get the card, be sure and provide a bit of feedback on how the various options work [assuming you're going to "play" a bit with it  :) ]

Sure.

It will definitely be interesting to see if drive spindown works.  But I suspect the SMART data won't be available in RAID mode (probably would be if it was used as a port multiplier).

I've used these things before, many moons ago. 

SMART and spin control are available in port multiplier mode.

SMART and spin control are not available in RAID mode.

The Areca benefit is the BIOS can do the automatic spin down in a RAID array after an hour of inactivity, plus you can access the SMART data by the arcane commands.

As far as the SYBA port multiplier RAID card, addonics had a few of those.

What I was looking for in particular was SATA III support and then I came across the drive mountable RAID1/RAID0 device.

Given the size of drives today, larger caches and SATA III, the burst speed of a RAID array could provide a slight benefit for some operations.

I know I saw a benefit with the write back cache of the Areca controllers for some operations.

I had ordered 10 at B&H at the $249 pre-order price in January.  I received them March 10 but they were packaged poorly (just thrown in loose) and 4 were DoA so I'm working out replacements.
That is disappointing news.  First time I've heard about bad shipping from B&H on the forums and I've had better luck but I'm only ordering drives in pairs not in your quantities so maybe that made a difference for me.

Just to close the loop, B&H sent me 4 replacements which arrived Friday March 20.  These were in their original OEM boxes with bubble wrap to generally cushion the contents.  These survived the trip.  I don't know why they sent the original 10 in just anti-static bags - I almost wonder if they were taken out of OEM boxes just to be squeezed into a smaller outer box to save on shipping expense.

I am going to be very wary of ordering in quantity from them again in the future.  Generally I also don't like how they handled the replacement process overall - even though this was their fault, they refused to give me any considerations - for example, with the RMA they charged my credit card for the new drives and then credited it back once the defective drives were received, and they wouldn't give me complimentary 2-day shipping to ensure the new drives went by air instead of ground.  Thanks for making me feel really un-special, B&H.