smbd out of memory crashes

Not too long ago, I've been experiencing monthly or so crashes due to out of memory smbd issues. I wasn't able to get logs at this point, have a screenshot though.

Only running the openssh plugin, and have nfs/smb enabled. Currently running ESXi with 6-7 hosts with 16GB total, so memory is somewhat a commodity. The obvious answer would be to start allocating more RAM, although I'd thought 4Gb would be sufficient.

4ylw0Uj.png

unRAID 5.0.6

ESXi 5.1.0

unRAID guest with 4GB of RAM, +30TB disk space of which 50% is uesd.

Not too long ago, I've been experiencing monthly or so crashes due to out of memory smbd issues. I wasn't able to get logs at this point, have a screenshot though.

Only running the openssh plugin, and have nfs/smb enabled. Currently running ESXi with 6-7 hosts with 16GB total, so memory is somewhat a commodity. The obvious answer would be to start allocating more RAM, although I'd thought 4Gb would be sufficient.

4ylw0Uj.png

unRAID 5.0.6

ESXi 5.1.0

unRAID guest with 4GB of RAM, +30TB disk space of which 50% is uesd.

Are you using memory ballooning on unraid causing memory to be shifted to other vms on your setup?

I guess the default behaviour is for it to be enabled. Found a KB article discussing how to disable memory ballooning by adding a Configuration Parameter. Hopefully that addresses the crashes.

Although found this article saying that it's not good practice to disable the baloon driver...

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/02/disable-ballooning.html

Wonder if I should just click the checkbox  "Reserve all gues memory (All locked)" instead?

Thanks

If you're passing through your M1015's, ESXi should be forcing you to reserve 100% of the allocated RAM (can't pull RAM out if its being used by a dedicated device, I guess).  Double check to ensure that's the case, and if not, definitely reserve it all.  For me, unRAID works perfectly fine with 4 GB, even when I had a bunch of plugins running on it.  Since you're really not running much on top of it, I'd be worried you have a memory leak somewhere.  Are you writing a bunch of things to /tmp, for example?  How long after reboot do you begin to see this issue?