Good time to move to 6.0?

ltoolio

Hey all,

I've been on 5x for my entire Unraid experience and am looking forward to 6.X.  I've got 16gb of ram in my box, and I've got quite a few plugins that have caused me a bit of headache, so I'm liking the potential of the dockers too.

I currently have 11TB of Storage (2TBx4 and 3TBx1) and a 3TB Parity drive, and am in the process of clearing another 2TB drive to add to the array.

From what I've read, moving to XFS seems to make for a more solid 6.X experience so I'm thinking that now might be the right time to make the move.  I could use the new drive as my transfer drive, format it to XFS, move files from my other 2TB drives and then domino formatting them to XFS (the one 3TB drive in my array and my 3TB Parity Drive will cause for some work).

Thoughts?

You can, of course, do this whenever you want.    Whether you want to do it now, or wait for the stable release of v6 is entirely a personal choice.  The current Beta seems very stable, so it's probably fine to just go ahead and make the switch => and clearly if you want to start moving to XFS you have no choice.

The trouble with waiting to try out a beta line is what happens if the Stable version doesnt support your hardware, such as your network device or your sata controller? The product at that point wont have semi-scheduled updates since its "stable" and any change in addons or modules eill likely have to wait for the next round of betas. Its a lot easier to get drivers updated or changed in the beta product than the Stable.

Archived