Server Write Speed [solved]

When I write to my server from my desktop on a hardline connection I get about 10 MB/s on average (usually 9-11 MB/s).  Is this the type of speed I should expect on a modern LAN with UnRAID?  I know it probably depends a lot on my server and network hardware, but how can I determine what my bottleneck is?  Or is 10 MB/s about the max I should expect to see?  My computer desktop is connected to a switch, which is connected to another switch, which is connected to the server.  I believe all my wiring and network hardware is gigabit Ethernet.  My server has spinning drives (not SSD).  I can get the exact server specs if needed but I built it based on the recommended build from the UnRAID website a few years ago.

Thanks.

Well son of a gun, it appears that all 3 of the Cat 5e cables I pulled in my house are running at 10 MB/s (only 1 of these 3 is involved in this scenario).  Not sure yet if it's the cord or not, but probably is the cord...

Here is my gear:

*desktop (Asus Z77 Pro 4 motherboard) - both green and yellow LAN lights are on indicating Gigabit

This connects to (with a cord that I created myself):

*Netgear GS605AV (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122363&cm_re=netgear_gs605av-_-33-122-363-_-Product)

The light on this switch is green indicating Gigabit.  So I seem to have Gigabit to the first switch which is only a few feet away.  This connects to (with a cord that I created myself)

*Netgear GS108 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-008X-00026&cm_re=Netgear_GS108-_-12K-008X-00026-_-Product)

The light on both switches indicate that it is running at 100/10 MB/s (only 1 blinking light which means it is not Gigabit but not sure how to tell if it's 10 or 100 MB/s).  This cord is approximately 60 feet long.  This connects to (with a cord that I purchased) my UnRAID tower.  The lights on the final switch and the server say that it is Gigabit.

In conclusion, I created a few cords and at least one of them (between my desktop and the first switch) is good so it shouldn't be a problem with the way I created them.  But the long cord between the first and second switch is not running at Gigabit.  In addition the other 2 long cables I created in my house (not involved in this scenario) also seem to be running at slower speeds.  I'll go double check my pin layouts, but is there anything else I should look for before scrapping the cables?

Thanks a lot!

One point of clarification: the cable going from the first switch to the second switch is actually two cables.  I have one cable that I purchased going from the switch to a port in the wall and I have another cable that I made going from the wall port to the switch 60 feet away.

When creating cables you just have to make sure both ends are created to the same pattern correct?  I created them according to T568B (AT&T).  The purchased cable seems to be made to that same standard although it only uses 4 wires (orange and green solid and striped).

Well son of a gun again, I replaced the "store bought" cable with another one of my own and it's now transferring at around 80 MB/s!!!  The problems I'm having with the other two ports in my house must also be related to bad cables going from the wall to the device.  Actually the "store bought" cable I just replaced I think originally came with my Xbox 360 back in the day.  I just assumed it was a Gigabit-capable cable.  Anyway, thanks for the help.  I always thought it should be faster, but I wasn't sure if UnRAID slowed it down that much or what so I didn't bother to look into it until now.  :o

What jevans04 said.  Unlike 10Mbit and 100Mbit (which can both successfully run over 2 pair), 1000Mbit actually requires all 4 pair.

As for pinout, as long as it matches on both ends, it is a straight thru Ethernet cable.  That said, you should always wire it either 568A or 568B.  Both standards work just fine and are interchangeable (as long as any given run is terminated the same on both ends).  For example a 568B patch cable can be used with 568A structured wiring with no issues.  568A is typically used in residential installs, and 568B in commercial installs.