Wrong Size Hard Drives...

G Speed

Just installed an add on card.. and threw in an older 2tb green I had laying around.. and an older 1tb black..

Running 6.0-beta14b

Did I do something wrong? Most import part of the syslog

No idea why it's showing 2.18tb

Apr 15 08:00:30 Tower logger: #011nodesize 16384 leafsize 16384 sectorsize 4096 size 1.82TiB

Apr 15 08:00:31 Tower logger: #011nodesize 16384 leafsize 16384 sectorsize 4096 size 931.51GiB

Seem right to me?

Untitled.png.b7ce2e5b6407b259403c024dda19da62.png

Says 2.18GB used, not TB. If these drives are expected to be empty, I don't know if that's normal for btrfs or not.

Amazing, serves me right for trying to think before breakfast..

I guess I was just paying attention to all the other drives..

Now that I think of it that used column is kind of stupid..

If size is posted and is static anyways.. what's the point?

Says 2.18GB used, not TB. If these drives are expected to be empty, I don't know if that's normal for btrfs or not.

Not sure what you are trying to say?    The size column is static - the used and free ones are not (unless you are no longer adding/removing files from the drive). 

In theory it would be possible to omit one of used/free as they always add up to the drive size.  However having them both available is convenient and anyway I think the size column is rounded off to reflect the size a drive has been sold as - not the exact amount it can store.

Not sure what you are trying to say?    The size column is static - the used and free ones are not (unless you are no longer adding/removing files from the drive). 

In theory it would be possible to omit one of used/free as they always add up to the drive size.  However having them both available is convenient and anyway I think the size column is rounded off to reflect the size a drive has been sold as - not the exact amount it can store.

If I have a 2tb drive that has 1.17tb of data on it.. would it not be better to just show me I have 830gb left?

Instead of both... as it currently does

this is just my personal opinion... I have never said to my self... wow I have 1.17tb used up.. on my 2tb drive..

More so I only have 830gb left

If I have a 2tb drive that has 1.17tb of data on it.. would it not be better to just show me I have 830gb left?

Instead of both... as it currently does

this is just my personal opinion... I have never said to my self... wow I have 1.17tb used up.. on my 2tb drive..

More so I only have 830gb left

I like have both columns.  Depending on why I am looking at the values will depend on which one I look at.  It can be useful at times to see what they add up to so that you can see the true space on the disk - not the rounded of value that the manufacturers quote.

Having said that if one wanted to use less screen space then I agree that the free value is the one to be most likely of immediate use.

We're all different, some users prefer seeing only the Used, some prefer only the Free, and others prefer seeing both.  It makes sense to set the Main screen up with both, but perhaps in a future version, some customization options will be added, like adding or removing or moving columns around.  UnMENU's MyMain screen has a lot of customization available, and you can add some very nice extras to your Main screen, like troubling SMART attributes, user notes, physical drive location (even graphically), etc.  Perhaps Dynamix will get those too some day, but for now there are higher priorities.

We're all different, some users prefer seeing only the Used, some prefer only the Free, and others prefer seeing both.  It makes sense to set the Main screen up with both, but perhaps in a future version, some customization options will be added, like adding or removing or moving columns around.  UnMENU's MyMain screen has a lot of customization available, and you can add some very nice extras to your Main screen, like troubling SMART attributes, user notes, physical drive location (even graphically), etc.  Perhaps Dynamix will get those too some day, but for now there are higher priorities.

I hear you, it's not a "big deal" it's not making unraid any less usable..

Archived