Android TV

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:56 PM, kimocal said:

A minor update.  I recently tried using Prime OS, a branch Android X86, and the mouse navigation in VNC is no longer an issue.  

I'm installing some Amcrest and Wyze apps in the PrimeOS VM to give it a try.

Confirmed. This works very well. Mouse and keyboard work perfectly. Internet works well. There is an option to trick apps into thinking android is on wifi, which is sometimes needed. 

I had some issues with it running very slow and crashing.  This was due to memory allocation. I think I had initial set to 1GB and max set to 2GB. Changed both to 4GB and it runs nice and fast now. 

I couldn't get it to boot correctly on its own under OVMF bios. I could get it to boot with the install iso loaded, I had to select "upgrade" from the install iso menu.

Reinstalled with seaBIOS and it boot fine.

So relevant info from my install that may help others:

Initial and max memory set both to the same, something higher than 1GB, mine is set to 4GB

Machine: Q35-3.0 (though i440fx-3.0 also worked)

BIOS: SeaBIOS

vDisk bus: SATA

Would like to find a way to access a user share or mount some storage outside the VM image file.

Thanks for the update @kimocal, neat to have this finally working well!

Edited by bnevets27
  • 8 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:56 PM, kimocal said:

A minor update.  I recently tried using Prime OS, a branch Android X86, and the mouse navigation in VNC is no longer an issue.  

On 4/9/2019 at 6:06 PM, bnevets27 said:

Confirmed. This works very well.

@kimocal @bnevets27 I'm having an issue whereby the Prime OS VM I installed has a memory leak. Even the vanilla, fresh installation with nothing else. I confirmed it using "watch free -m" at the shell (Alt+F1, then Alt+F7 to get back to UI) and saw the "free" column gradually go down. The VM would eventually seize up and become unusable. I tried both the Standard and Mainline 0.4.5. I used the same VM settings as everyone else seems to. I even tried both Machine types (Q35-3.1 and i440fx-3.1). See attached VM settings and Kernel version screenshots below. 

Has anyone run into this or can confirm my results? 

image.thumb.png.0348bd2f4eaf8d695de32eecf333179b.png

image.thumb.png.1d40c5ccbf233251b04843517adc8bcc.png

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2019 at 6:12 AM, BrBybee said:

THANK ALL OF YOU!!! 

I got both Hass.io and Android x86 running in VMs thanks to this thread. I needed Android to host Tinycam Pro to feed my Wyze cams to Hass.  Mouse movements in the Android VM were a pain so it took some effort to get Tinycam setup but now that its set I am just going to leave the VM alone and I shouldn't have to touch it again for a while (hopefully).

Side note.. I think the Android VM might be easier to control if I could find a good remote desktop app for it.

Thx again. I couldn't have done it without this thread. 

Hi Mr @BrBybee

Its now 2021 🙂 and I am looking at getting the Tinycam Pro setup for converting my RTSP to MJPEG for the Smarttings Control "Smart Tiles"

Is this still the best option?

Or is there some new to try? (I think I saw a Blue Iris as a docker but I think that would be to hard on my CPU)

https://support.actiontiles.com/en/communities/12/topics/3441-tinycam-pro-android-app-web-server-stream-rtsp-and-wyze-cam-to-actiontiles