Should I move to v.6?

xtrips

Hello,

I an actually running on 5.0.6 and I am only using Sabnzbd, Transmission and Sickrage.

On the other hand my Unraid server is heavily loaded all the time.

Do I have any incentive moving to v.6?

And if so, is that possible? I mean are my 3 above mentioned applications portable to v.6?

Thanks

Hello,

I an actually running on 5.0.6 and I am only using Sabnzbd, Transmission and Sickrage.

And if so, is that possible? I mean are my 3 above mentioned applications portable to v.6?

Thanks

All of these apps are available as dockers, which is the preferred method for running these type of applications on v6.

Are you running these as PhAzE plugins currently? I believe he has v6 versions of all his plugins.

Not clear whether v6 will help with the load or not depending on your particulars, but it does seem to be quite a bit snappier to me. I think there have been some improvements to the underlying code, and 64bit v6 can use memory above 4GB more efficiently than 32bit v5.

That being said, it is beta, and while I consider it perhaps even more stable than v5, if you are going to participate in beta testing you should probably make some effort to stay involved.

Hello,

Thanks

All of these apps are available as dockers, which is the preferred method for running these type of applications on v6.

Are you running these as PhAzE plugins currently? I believe he has v6 versions of all his plugins.

Not clear whether v6 will help with the load or not depending on your particulars, but it does seem to be quite a bit snappier to me. I think there have been some improvements to the underlying code, and 64bit v6 can use memory above 4GB more efficiently than 32bit v5.

That being said, it is beta, and while I consider it perhaps even more stable than v5, if you are going to participate in beta testing you should probably make some effort to stay involved.

Your arguments are convincing enough for me. I am running Phaze plugins so there won't be any problems I guess. I think I am gonna go that way.

Is there any recommended upgrade path to follow because of the 3 Phaze plugins? Or is it a no brainer, just using the package and follow the readme instructions?

Here is a guide on the upgrade from the wiki. It is a work-in-progress. It seems to recommend starting clean, and I think there are some very good arguments for that approach. I think you should be able to keep the "working data" from your v5 plugins even if you do start clean. I have not actually used the PhAzE plugins myself since I adopted v6 pretty early and moved everything to VMs, then later dockers. You should probably look to PhAzE support thread for help installing the v6 plugins and about keeping your application data.

Here is a guide on the upgrade from the wiki. It is a work-in-progress. It seems to recommend starting clean, and I think there are some very good arguments for that approach. I think you should be able to keep the "working data" from your v5 plugins even if you do start clean. I have not actually used the PhAzE plugins myself since I adopted v6 pretty early and moved everything to VMs, then later dockers. You should probably look to PhAzE support thread for help installing the v6 plugins and about keeping your application data.

Thank you.

I will make up some time this week to do it on the safe side.

Archived