Help needed with WIN7 vm [SOLVED]

Hi ... running v615b so decided to have a stab at a windows vm.

Template duly completed, VM started, windows installation started but no disks being offerred up for installation to ...  just an install  screen saying as much??

At initial vm setup i did set up a 5GB 'partition', for want of a better term, on disk1. No doubt something simple to the many experts out there but to me  ??? ??? ???

Any quick (and simple) fix at all?

Where to start?

You need to install the drivers.  From the KVM iso disc not the windows iso.

Thanks, but ... i have no idea what you mean.

So ... i'm not able to build a windows VM from within VM manager which i assumed would, at the very basic level, have known that i needed an internal container to install to?

Are you saying that i need to add even more to the package and if so, what?

I had chosen not to 'tinker' with VMs until the new VM Manager came along and now it seems i still have much to learn.

Got it (maybe!) ...

Browsed for drivers from within the install screen and it offerred me up E:/CDROM containing AMD folder, inside were three drivers. I installed them all (rightly or wrongly) and now I have my 'disk0' showing as available. The install is now chugging along but i still have no understanding of what it is i have just had to do. Is there a 'step by step' guide anywhere? Where's the help guide for this new VM Manager, is there one?

Got it (maybe!) ...

Browsed for drivers from within the install screen and it offerred me up E:/CDROM containing AMD folder, inside were three drivers. I installed them all (rightly or wrongly) and now I have my 'disk0' showing as available. The install is now chugging along but i still have no understanding of what it is i have just had to do. Is there a 'step by step' guide anywhere? Where's the help guide for this new VM Manager, is there one?

See the wiki in my forum signature. There is a lot of info about VMs in the documentation there. Might help you.

Thanks all.

There's plenty of info on the forum, I just can't remember where!

You installed the virtual disk drivers.  You presented a virtual disk to windows, rather than a SATA interface so you need to load the virtio drivers so it can see the disk.

Seems I did the right thing without the aid of the 'Help' tip (nice to know though ...) and installed all three visible drivers.

Now i just need to sort out connectivity.

I can see the local network but what needs to be done to sort out internet access?

The RedHat Ethernet adaptor picks up a different IP to my local lan (how?), is this right, i'm no network person?

Checked network adaptor ... set to DHCP, tried setting to a fixed ip on local lan and this wont stick so how do i configure a vm for internet access??

Thanks all.

There's plenty of info on the forum, I just can't remember where!

You installed the virtual disk drivers.  You presented a virtual disk to windows, rather than a SATA interface so you need to load the virtio drivers so it can see the disk.

Seems I did the right thing without the aid of the 'Help' tip (nice to know though ...) and installed all three visible drivers.

Now i just need to sort out connectivity.

I can see the local network but what needs to be done to sort out internet access?

The RedHat Ethernet adaptor picks up a different IP to my local lan (how?), is this right, i'm no network person?

Checked network adaptor ... set to DHCP, tried setting to a fixed ip on local lan and this wont stick so how do i configure a vm for internet access??

Now that's interesting.  Your VM should have internet accessibility without issue, but in the interest of just getting things up and running for you, do the following:

1)  Go to the Network Settings page (Settings -> Network Settings)

2)  If not already, set Setup Bridge to Yes.

3)  Give the bridge a name if not already specified.

After enabling bridging, go to the VM Manager Settings page (Settings -> VM Manager).  From here, type in the name of the bridge from the Network Settings page as the Alternate Network Bridge.

Lastly, go to the VM page itself with the VM turned off.  Edit your VM and click Advanced View.  Under Network Bridge, also type in the name of the bridge.

This will give you VM an IP using the DHCP server on your router.

Thanks ... all now working. Problem was of my own making, i'd set a static IP address without specifying DNS. Once i reverted to DHCP all round I had internet access. Useful leson for me this. Now ... what to do with my VM? Anyone able to recommend a working graphics card for passthru (SM X8SIA-F mobo, 16GB ram)?

What are you looking to do with the GPU?  Basic desktop? Media player? Gaming?  What's your budget?

Basic desktop i suppose, just need the next step up from VNC'ing (unless i can get vnc to fullscreen?)

Why not use RDP?  It's full screen and far better performance than VNC.  I wouldn't pass through a GPU unless you're using the VM as a desktop PC (for gaming, media playback, or otherwise).  If your primary need for graphics is administration, RDP is the best tool for the job.

You can enable remote desktop protocol (RDP) in Windows 7.  Here's the procedure:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/allow-someone-to-connect-to-your-computer-using-remote-desktop-connection

You can then use an RDP client to connect from any device.

What are you looking to do with the GPU?  Basic desktop? Media player? Gaming?  What's your budget?

Basic desktop i suppose, just need the next step up from VNC'ing (unless i can get vnc to fullscreen?)

Why not use RDP?  It's full screen and far better performance than VNC.  I wouldn't pass through a GPU unless you're using the VM as a desktop PC (for gaming, media playback, or otherwise).  If your primary need for graphics is administration, RDP is the best tool for the job.

You can enable remote desktop protocol (RDP) in Windows 7.  Here's the procedure:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/allow-someone-to-connect-to-your-computer-using-remote-desktop-connection

Thanks, I'll give that a go then  ;)

Trying to RDP (i'm no expert so bear with me) between two Windoze machines as recommended, one being my Win7 vm. Can't see either from either end? Now is this a bridging (i use the term loosely as i have little or no understanding other than the concept) issue and if so where do i need to start to address this? My vm CAN see my other unraid servers in its network view but not my mediacenter server? My mediacenter server CAN see my other unraid servers but not my Win7 vm? Does that help at all?

Trying to RDP (i'm no expert so bear with me) between two Windoze machines as recommended, one being my Win7 vm. Can't see either from either end? Now is this a bridging (i use the term loosely as i have little or no understanding other than the concept) issue and if so where do i need to start to address this? My vm CAN see my other unraid servers in its network view but not my mediacenter server? My mediacenter server CAN see my other unraid servers but not my Win7 vm? Does that help at all?

Edit your VM and turn on Advanced View.  Look under network.  What bridge are you using?

It says network bridge is 'virbr0' ...

I don't know what i'm meant to be looking at for public or private networks in the vm?

Do you mean under network settings?

It shows as 'Home Network' ...

Ok, you are using the libvirt managed bridge. On the webgui, go to settings -> network settings.  If bridge mode is not enabled, enable it. Then go back to edit your VM and specify the bridge name there that was on the network settings page. This will cause your VM to obtain an IP from your router as opposed to a NAT'd address from libvirt.

I don't know what i'm meant to be looking at for public or private networks in the vm?

Ok, you are using the libvirt managed bridge. On the webgui, go to settings -> network settings.  If bridge mode is not enabled, enable it. Then go back to edit your VM and specify the bridge name there that was on the network settings page. This will cause your VM to obtain an IP from your router as opposed to a NAT'd address from libvirt.

Thanks jonp ... that did the trick, all working now!

Thanks jonp ... that did the trick, all working now!

Woo hoo!!  Glad to hear it. Clearly I need to update the docs / help text on this. As nice as virbr0 can be, it certainly can be confusing when you are trying to connect to the VM for management or otherwise.