Grey arrow icon, data is invalid

Hello,

I am running an unRAID Pro (6b15) instance with 8 disks (1 Parity, 6 Data, 1 SSD Cache). For a few days, one of the data disks shows a grey arrow in the Dashboard and Main section, and it says "Parity Status: Data is invalid" on the dashboard.

This has happened before and I fixed it for the moment by creating a new config. I also swapped the disk in question with a different one of the same brand (Samsung 501LJ). What does the error message mean, what should I do now, and is there a chance that this may be related to a firmware problem with the 501LJ that can cause problems in RAID(0|1) setups? See here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10020

Thank you for any kind of advice,

Max.

Screen_Shot_2015-05-05_at_21_44_33.png.75b9b9cfdfb43074e6dcb42a311e2bf1.png

Yes, I shut the machine down to check the cables again. Unfortunately, I don't have any other log.

My most important concern right now: in this state, is my array safe if one of the other drives goes? As you can see from the screenshot, there is nothing on the 501LJ, so it wouldn't be a problem to remove it and create a new config without that drive.

Thank you, Max.

Yes, I shut the machine down to check the cables again. Unfortunately, I don't have any other log.

My most important concern right now: in this state, is my array safe if one of the other drives goes? As you can see from the screenshot, there is nothing on the 501LJ, so it wouldn't be a problem to remove it and create a new config without that drive.

It's very important to get the syslog that has the errors in it.  I suspect this problem is going to occur again, so do capture the syslog then.  It would also be a good idea to Obtain a SMART report for the drive now.  Then I would run the SMART long test on it, and when finished obtain another SMART report to compare.

The Start Stop Count attribute has unusual numbers, which may indicate a mechanical issue with the drive, but apart from a single Data Address Mark error, there are no sector issues evident.  The long test will be good to verify that.

The firmware update does look like it may be necessary.  The RAID connection appears to me to be a red herring, in that this drive with firmware less than CR100-13 can apparently hang at random times, under certain but unknown conditions.  Yours has firmware CR100-10, which is a problem.  ANY system, RAID or not, will degrade if a drive hangs!  The reputation for this drive is not good, not sure I would trust it in my array, unless firmware upgraded.

All right, I did the procedure that you recommended: smartctl, extended self test, smartctl. I attached both reports, everything passed cleanly. smart.txt is before the test, smart2.txt is after.

I tried to update the drive last night and didn't have any success: the updater cd that I created with the tool from the Dell website will not boot my machine. I'll try a different machine later and see if that will do the trick.

smart.txt

smart2.txt

Again no luck with the firmware update boot cd. This time, I got it to boot (using an external drive), but it just says that the drive would not be compatible with the updater.

Unless one of you here comes up with another angle on this, I'll probably just dump the drive and buy a new one once my array is full.

I have the same problem. started today. Before my reboot, the arrow was yellow this morning all of a sudden out of nowhere so I rebooted. I did notice this drive was the last drive to spin down since upgrading to the latest beta before this happened.

I do have a record of an error in my log.

ATA_OP e3 ioctl error: -5

Again no luck with the firmware update boot cd. This time, I got it to boot (using an external drive), but it just says that the drive would not be compatible with the updater.

The only thing I can think of is, make sure it's the right updater.

Unless one of you here comes up with another angle on this, I'll probably just dump the drive and buy a new one once my array is full.

I'm sorry.  SMART reports and testing came up perfect, no issues.  From a SMART point of view, the drive looks fine, usable, but because of the firmware issue, seems hard to trust.  It would be nice though to see a syslog when the errors are happening, to confirm that the drive (with nothing else to blame) is hanging.

I have the same problem. started today. Before my reboot, the arrow was yellow this morning all of a sudden out of nowhere so I rebooted. I did notice this drive was the last drive to spin down since upgrading to the latest beta before this happened.

I do have a record of an error in my log.

ATA_OP e3 ioctl error: -5

This type of problem is rarely the same.  May I ask you to start a fresh topic with your issue?  And please read Need help? Read me first!  It will help you to obtain the syslog and SMART reports for your drive.