Confusion on Upgrading from 4.7 to 6

DigitalDivide

Just one other question. Since I'm upgrading from 4.7 to 6 directly, I will be starting as a new array as I understand it and do a parity check right off the top.  My drives will be in the same assiggements as in 4.7.  If that's the case, can I simply pop in a new larger drive to use as parity (I have a 4TB drive sitting here).  I was planning on upgrading the parity drive to a larger one, once I got 6 installed and ran a parity check.  If I can kill two birds with one stone, I'd prefer it.  I'm also assuming I should format it as XFS before doing the parity check?

Just one other question. Since I'm upgrading from 4.7 to 6 directly, I will be starting as a new array as I understand it and do a parity check right off the top.  My drives will be in the same assiggements as in 4.7.  If that's the case, can I simply pop in a new larger drive to use as parity (I have a 4TB drive sitting here).  I was planning on upgrading the parity drive to a larger one, once I got 6 installed and ran a parity check.  If I can kill two birds with one stone, I'd prefer it.  I'm also assuming I should format it as XFS before doing the parity check?

Yes, this would be a good time to upgrade parity.

No, you never format the parity drive, since it doesn't have a filesystem.

Also, it would be a good idea to preclear the new parity drive just for testing purposes. Technically, only a drive added to a new data slot must be clear, but everyone tests a new drive with preclear anyway. Be sure to use the latest version of the preclear script. An older version will not work with v6 and large drives.

Archived