Upgraded from Beta 15 to RC5 and now disabled disk

ltoolio

What do you mean by a 'Disk 2 Error'?  Maybe a screenshot to show what you mean?  I could not spot anything obvious in the syslog.

Note that with rc5 there is now a 'Diagnostics' option on the Tools tab that creates a ZIP of diagnostic information that is far more comprehensive than the syslog (it includes the syslog), and providing that may help with diagnosis.  It is also the easiest way to gather all this information.

Have you rebooted since the disk was disabled? If so, that would explain why the event is not in your syslog.

When you did the upgrade, did you open the case? Might seem like a silly question, but some people have their flash inside the case. If you did then maybe you bumped a cable or something.

unRAID disables a disk when a write to it fails. While disabled, unRAID will emulate the drive by using all the other drives plus parity. When the emulated disk is read, what actually happens is all of the disks plus parity are read, and from that the data for the disk can be calculated. When the emulated disk is written, what actually happens is all of the disk plus parity are read, and from that plus the data to be written, the parity change can be calculated and written. So, reads and writes can still happen, but they don't actually happen on the disabled drive.

You will have to rebuild the drive. Do you have a spare?

Have you rebooted since the disk was disabled? If so, that would explain why the event is not in your syslog.

- Yes.  The machine was completely off before I generated the screenshot and diagnostic logs and I had to turn it on in order to get them for you.

When you did the upgrade, did you open the case? Might seem like a silly question, but some people have their flash inside the case. If you did then maybe you bumped a cable or something.

- Negative.  It has been in the same position for ~6 months.

You will have to rebuild the drive. Do you have a spare?

- I do not.  It's been a while since I last had to do a rebuild...can I just reuse the one that's in there?

(and thank you for the input!)

Archived