[SOLVED] Can't detect Pro.key after 6.0.0 update

dtempleton

This is a continuing issue first noted on the 6.0.0 announcement thread.

While updating from rc5 to 6.0.0, I backed up my /config folder via ssh using the Transmit.app.  This made a /config_copy file, and left the original.

I updated to 6.0.0 through the plugin update button.  Upon restart the webGUI page loaded the 'registration page'  i.e.

"Your server will not be usable until you download a registration key. "

There is a link to purchase a key or get trial key, but not a link to "replace key" that is cited in a recent post about 6b15.  I'm not eager to post my GUID here.

Things I have tried: 

Rebooting.

Rebooting in safe mode.

Renaming the old /config directory to the original name and rebooting

removing the flash and checking permissions in /boot/config  (all dennis:staff 777)

checking the integrity of the flash on mac disk util (no errors found)

I note that there is an opportunity to install the ProKey via a URL, which might fix it.  I bought the flash preconfigured with 5.0.5 and don't have a link to a key from LT.  The flash in question is the original one from LT, modified only with a series of 6.x betas.

I am attaching the diagnostic from today, and the ls of the contents of the /boot/config directory.

Thanks

Dennis

tower-diagnostics-20150619-0851.zip

Flash_config_directory.txt

You have errors in your sylog that indicate that are problems reading data from your flash Drive.  I first suggest that you made double sure that  you have a safe backup of the pro.key that is in the  config  folder on that flash drive.  (I saw it in the config folder of your flash drive so that is one place from where you should be able to find it.) Then pull the drive and run chkdsk on it in a Windows machine. 

If the error can't be fixed. you may have to reformat the drive and reinstall the unRAID on the flash drive.  See here for complete instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

and

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39032.0

Please read the instructions first!!!!  And try to copy as many files off your flash drive (as a backup) before you start as possible.  Hopefully, you know the serial numbers of  the parity and the cache drive (if using one).  Having that info could be useful if the reinstalled OS can't figure things out on its own.

As far as I know, everything in /boot should be root:root.

-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   256 Jan 16 08:28 Pro2.key*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root  2836 Jun 16 12:33 disk.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   155 Apr 20 19:05 docker.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root    78 Jun 19 14:56 domain.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   102 Feb 12  2014 flash.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   496 Jun  9 09:44 go*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   407 Jun  8 19:09 ident.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   254 Apr 18 09:36 network.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   860 Jun  6 23:53 passwd*
drwxrwxrwx 20 root root 16384 Jun 18 09:41 plugins/
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 16384 Jun  3 13:13 plugins-removed/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   144 Dec 16  2014 sensors.conf*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   653 Jun  6 23:53 shadow*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   502 Jun  8 19:09 share.cfg*
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 16384 Jun  8 14:20 shares/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   245 Jun 18 10:21 smb-extra.conf*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   161 Feb  7 17:35 smb-extra.conf~*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root   412 Jun  6 23:53 smbpasswd*
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 16384 Jul 25  2014 ssh/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root  4096 Jun 16 12:33 super.dat*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Apr  5 15:15 vsftpd.user_list*

How did it get to dennis:staff? All unRAID users are normally in the users group.

Do you have Active Directory or something? If so I have no experience with that on unRAID.

What's in the config folder you showed is not what the system is seeing, the diagnostics show a brand new system with nothing configured yet, no super.dat and no .key file.

You have 2 flash disks connected, a Sony 4gb and a Sandisk 8gb, and it's loading the Sony 4gb.  I suspect that may be the wrong one?  Is it possible that both are labeled UNRAID?

Thanks, all, it's fixed.

The extra USB stick (not labeled UNRAID) is a red herring, the key was not recognized even with that out.  I think the owner shown on Mac is me (dennis) and on UNRAID is root.  Just captured it on my mac.

What worked was to:

Backup the whole flash.

Format the drive with mac disk utility.

Copied a new DL of 6.0.0 to the flash;  added the Pro.key

ran make_bootable_mac

===>>> This install worked

Copied the misc files and directories that were in /boot and /boot/config that seemed related to my previous setup.

===>>> This install worked and seems to have all my stuff.

My first try was similar without the drive format reformat, but that didn't work.  Given the file read errors pointed out it must have been a corrupted flash.  This must have occurred silently over the last year, or coincidentally with the last upgrade.

Thanks all!

D

Archived