[FEATURE REQUEST] Allow custom pci additions to VMs xml

dlandon

I would like to see a custom xml section added to the VM configuration that would allow adding our own xml scripts.  The main purpose for this is for additional pci device passthrough.  Currently whenever the VM configuration is edited, all custom changes to the xml file get removed and have to be manually added by editing the xml file directly.

A dialog box where a custom script for the xml in the configuration would allow us to add pci devices to be passed through and when the configuration is edited, the custom script would be added to the xml.

Alternatively, allow us to add additional pci devices by a drop down selection similar to the gpu and sound card selection with those choices removed.

I am passing through a com/lpt add in pci card that I pass through to my Windows 8 VM and this would make it a lot easier to make configuration changes and keep my passthrough setting.  I see others passing through nic cards, TV tuners, etc.  This would make it a lot easier and more fool proof because of mistakes in editing the xml.

I would like to see a custom xml section added to the VM configuration that would allow adding our own xml scripts.  The main purpose for this is for additional pci device passthrough.  Currently whenever the VM configuration is edited, all custom changes to the xml file get removed and have to be manually added by editing the xml file directly.

A dialog box where a custom script for the xml in the configuration would allow us to add pci devices to be passed through and when the configuration is edited, the custom script would be added to the xml.

Alternatively, allow us to add additional pci devices by a drop down selection similar to the gpu and sound card selection with those choices removed.

I am passing through a com/lpt add in pci card that I pass through to my Windows 8 VM and this would make it a lot easier to make configuration changes and keep my passthrough setting.  I see others passing through nic cards, TV tuners, etc.  This would make it a lot easier and more fool proof because of mistakes in editing the xml.

+1.  Very annoying to have to constantly repast it in to the XML edit dialog.

Not gonna happen. Instead, we will just add support to pass through other pci devices without editing xml ;-). It's on the to-do list.

OK.  How about putting up a warning reminding us that edits to the XML (on the XML edit screen) will not persist if you use the edit function.
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Any word on if/when this will be implemented? I had to restore a backup of a VM over the weekend and the current implementation is pretty crappy, making all of your xml edits over and over is extremely annoying.

I think it's a no-brainer that people are going to want to pass through entire usb controllers and it should be way easier any less half baked then the current methods, especially with LT pushing VMs as a major feature!

Any word on if/when this will be implemented? I had to restore a backup of a VM over the weekend and the current implementation is pretty crappy, making all of your xml edits over and over is extremely annoying.

I think it's a no-brainer that people are going to want to pass through entire usb controllers and it should be way easier any less half baked then the current methods, especially with LT pushing VMs as a major feature!

As far as a time-frame goes, I have no update for you as of this moment, but it is on the roadmap.  There are just other features prioritized ahead of this one (such as dual parity which is still undergoing internal development and testing).  I realize some things may be "annoying", but maybe "crappy" isn't the right word?  I dunno...just rubs me the wrong way when folks talk so negatively about something we've put so much hard work into building.  Especially when it'd be little to no effort at all to simply copy the XML for a VM to a text file on the array or something for easy backup / recovery in the interim.  Not suggesting it's a replacement for a proper implementation, but it's definitely better than shooting yourself in the foot over and over.

One thing to keep in mind, the XML editor was put into place so folks could experiment with passing through devices and other things with VMs that we haven't built into the webGui yet.  It was never designed as a long-term solution.  We started with pass through support for the devices that were no-brainers (graphics and sound) because we weren't worried about device conflicts with those.  With USB controllers, as I've said a number of times now, the concern is that we don't want someone passing through the controller to which the unRAID boot device is attached.  We have code now to circumvent that, but we need to go further than just simple protection.  We need to build in support for stubbing PCI devices so that the host can't bind a driver to them first.  Same goes for passing through SATA controllers and Network controllers, which are also devices that folks want to attach.

Archived