public bridge not working quite right?

quinnmjcj

Running unraid 6.0 release version;

I have a windows VM, and using a public bridge - the bridge has a static address of 192.168.1.80 (from network.cfg).

Windows was given a 192.168.1.81 static address.

I can ping windows with no problem - it can browse with no problem.

The "VNC Remote"  works just find on the menu.

BUT vnc viewer to 192.168.1.81:5900 does not connect.  The windows firewall is off, so there's no reason for it not to connect.

However, if I go to 192.168.1.80:5900 - it does connect.

What I expect: 192.168.1.81:5900 to connect to the VM

192.168.1.80:5900 to not connect to the VM (since it's the NAS' address - I guess it's no big deal if it does, since the NAS doesn't have a desktop, but still, the 1.81 address ought to work to connect VNC).

Angry IP Scanner recognizes 1.80 as my server and 1.81 as my windows machine so all that is working.....

This seems like pretty bizarre behavior for a bridge to me.  Seems like there's something special and wierd going on?

The relevant XML, I Think is:

<interface type='bridge'>

<mac address='52:54:00:89:c3:ad'/>

<source bridge='br0'/>

<target dev='vnet0'/>

<model type='virtio'/>

<alias name='net0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>

</interface>

It's working exactly as intended. If you install a VNC server IN the windows installation, then it will answer on that IP as well. As it is right now, think of the answering VNC service as the local console for the windows install, including boot support. It's not running in the windows install, it's running in the unraid hypervisor to give you access to the keyboard mouse and monitor before the virtual windows can even get started.

Trigger a restart on your windows client and watch what happens in the vnc session. A normal VNC would drop when the service inside of windows was stopped, and wouldn't reconnect until windows was most of the way done booting. With the VNC server running in unraid, you can actually select safe mode in windows, and manipulate the VM even with no network at all running on the client VM windows install.

Archived