Preclear.sh results - Questions about your results? Post them here.

But I've used this drive for > 3 years and it hasn't locked up yet, if it does, I guess I'll just have to replace it.

This is not good:

Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013  100  100  097    Pre-fail  Always      -      2

twice (so far) the disk was not able to spin up to speed.  Typically, it indicates significant mechanical wear.

There is also a lot of hardware error correction taking place.  Notice now the normalized value (46) is getting closer to the failure threshold (0) and the "worst" value (14) is very close.

195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a  046  014  000    Old_age  Always      -      146458279

If the spin-retry-count gets higher I'll start taking it as a serious number, but, I've been monitoring these drives for the last 3 months (On my desktop) and it hasn't increased recently, so, for all I know it may have been right as I was placing it in it had a dodgy PSU connection/etc. When I first got this drive I didn't do any real tests on it at-all until ~ 3 months ago. As for the Hardware_ECC, can you explain what that does? Wikipedia just says:-

(Vendor specific raw value.) The raw value has different structure for different vendors and is often not meaningful as a decimal number.

Only reason why I'm not so eager to take it out of my array is because I obviously no longer have any warrant on it (Had it for 3 years+) so, it's either in my array or being used for nothing.

All drives perform hardware error correction.  (it is as if they have their own internal way of correcting data, typically by re-reading and comparing internal checksums.)

Just keep an eye on the drive.  If the normalized numbers start getting closer to their failure threshold, consider moving data off it that might be accessed frequently.    I realize it is an older drive,  Since it is working, odds are it will work a lot longer.  I have two disks in my first unRAID server that are a quite a bit older (over 7 years).  I just keep an eye on them too, and so far, they are working perfectly.

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      62767

and

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      62488

Interestingly, neither have ever had a sector pending reallocation or re-allocated.  (They are IDE and 500Gig. They were the biggest available at the time the server was originally built, and over $300 each...  ouch.  Times have sure changed.)

Joe L.

But I've used this drive for > 3 years and it hasn't locked up yet, if it does, I guess I'll just have to replace it.

This is not good:

Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013  100  100  097    Pre-fail  Always      -      2

twice (so far) the disk was not able to spin up to speed.  Typically, it indicates significant mechanical wear.

There is also a lot of hardware error correction taking place.  Notice now the normalized value (46) is getting closer to the failure threshold (0) and the "worst" value (14) is very close.

195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a  046  014  000    Old_age  Always      -      146458279

If the spin-retry-count gets higher I'll start taking it as a serious number, but, I've been monitoring these drives for the last 3 months (On my desktop) and it hasn't increased recently, so, for all I know it may have been right as I was placing it in it had a dodgy PSU connection/etc. When I first got this drive I didn't do any real tests on it at-all until ~ 3 months ago. As for the Hardware_ECC, can you explain what that does? Wikipedia just says:-

(Vendor specific raw value.) The raw value has different structure for different vendors and is often not meaningful as a decimal number.

Only reason why I'm not so eager to take it out of my array is because I obviously no longer have any warrant on it (Had it for 3 years+) so, it's either in my array or being used for nothing.

All drives perform hardware error correction.  (it is as if they have their own internal way of correcting data, typically by re-reading and comparing internal checksums.)

Just keep an eye on the drive.  If the normalized numbers start getting closer to their failure threshold, consider moving data off it that might be accessed frequently.    I realize it is an older drive,  Since it is working, odds are it will work a lot longer.  I have two disks in my first unRAID server that are a quite a bit older (over 7 years).  I just keep an eye on them too, and so far, they are working perfectly.

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      62767

and

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      62488

Interestingly, neither have ever had a sector pending reallocation or re-allocated.  (They are IDE and 500Gig. They were the biggest available at the time the server was originally built, and over $300 each...  ouch.  Times have sure changed.)

Joe L.

Well, I'll be sure to keep my eye on the S.M.A.R.T. status & parity reports. Thanks for your input.

Hi

I pre cleared a couple of old drives I had laying around and was thinking of utilising one of them as a cache drive.

The oldest is a Maxtor drive 250gb and the others an Samsung 500gb drive, ideally I was thinking about using the Samsung as it a little newer and bigger.

Problem being when I did an initial smart report on the Samsung it showed 6 pending sectors but I pre cleared x3 in the hope that it clear the errors, it did.

The Maxtor's results look like its mainly mechanical ware and tare but appear to function as it should even after a pre clear x3.

Looking at the results attached was I right in saying the Samsung's OK to use now and was I right in thinking the Maxtor drive is nearly worn out?

Are there any other issues or learning points I should be aware / concerned with on either drive?

Still learning how to interpret these smart reports but getting there  :)

preclear_results__9QE0XT5H_2013-02-24.txt

preclear_results_S0MUJ1GP711754_2013-02-24.txt

Hi

I pre cleared a couple of old drives I had laying around and was thinking of utilising one of them as a cache drive.

The oldest is a Maxtor drive 250gb and the others an Samsung 500gb drive, ideally I was thinking about using the Samsung as it a little newer and bigger.

Problem being when I did an initial smart report on the Samsung it showed 6 pending sectors but I pre cleared x3 in the hope that it clear the errors, it did.

The Maxtor's results look like its mainly mechanical ware and tare but appear to function as it should even after a pre clear x3.

Looking at the results attached was I right in saying the Samsung's OK to use now and was I right in thinking the Maxtor drive is nearly worn out?

Are there any other issues or learning points I should be aware / concerned with on either drive?

Still learning how to interpret these smart reports but getting there  :)

The Maxtor looks fine, no issues at all.  It's not that old either, with less than 20000 hours on it.  At 250GB, it's a bit small, but that depends on what you want to use it for.  The Samsung is a little older, with 28000 hours on it, but it too looks fine.

The preclear just finished on a warranty replacement drive. It looks good to me (number of sectors pending re-allocation & sectors re-allocated did not change). I was hoping someone here could just give it a once over, to be sure.

Thanks in advance if so.

Both drives listed in your attached file look fine, no issues, brand new.

Your version of the preclear script is several versions old.  You should always use the newest version

As if now  it is 1.13.

Those are media errors (un-readable sector errors)

Feb 25 06:25:29 10 preclear_disk-diff[30056]:  0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1. (Misc)

Feb 25 06:25:29 10 preclear_disk-diff[30056]:  1 sector is pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear, (Misc)

Feb 25 06:25:29 10 preclear_disk-diff[30056]:    a change of 1 in the number of sectors pending re-allocation. (Misc)

Since it occurred in the post-read, it means you were unable to read one of the sectors written.  That is not a really good sign.  It indicates either a bad platter sector, or a marginal electronics, or a marginal power supply voltage causing poor supply regulation.

I'd try another preclear.

Joe L.

Need help interpreting my preclear.sh results.  I selected to have the result emailed to me per the Configuration Tutorial (./preclear_disk.sh -m [email protected] /dev/sdX) and received the email attached below.

With the exception of UDMA_CRC_Error_Count (I put in two drives but one of the two was an open box so it wasn't perfectly new, it is possible the Error Count occurred on other hardware, the value didn't change from pre to post so I'm pretty sure there is no issue with the CRC error count) the only other issue is "Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk".  I've read the forums and it is clear that some bytes were non-zero even after being zeroed out.  I have a few questions:

1)  The subject line of the email was "Preclear: PASS! Preclearing Disk sdi Finished!!! Cycle 1 of 1".  I'm thrown off by the "PASS!" as that contradicts the "Disk /dev/sdi has NOT been successfully precleared ".  Am I missing something?

2)  The forums suggest that a "postread" issue could be attributable to a lot of issues and to start with a memory check and then a dd/checksum test.  I think I've done enough reading to know what I need to do so I'm primarily asking for validation:

a)  I had previously precleared a smaller drive (500 MB) without error, does that help isolate the problem with this result?

b)  For the memory test, I read a post Joe L. made (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23753.0) and will do a memory check tonight.  I have 2 GB of ram on this machine, while I was running two preclears on 3TB drives (I didn't have any array running), I did install Plex Media Server (although didn't enable it) including doing a wget, used the unMenu package manager to install infozip. I wouldn't think any of those things would be memory intensive and/or contribute to issues but thought I would mention them.  I'll know more once I run a memory check but thought I'd ask, if anything I did might have contributed to the post read issues.

c)  For the dd /checksum test, I've found two points of information that I think verify what I need to do.  The first is the unRAID section on How To Troubleshoot Recurring Parity Errors and the other is Joe L's post at the bottom of this forum page (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19975.0).  From what I gather, I need to take a look in /tmp/postread_errorssda to find which blocks to check.  I can then repeat some of the specific post read checks as Joe outlined in his posting.  I can also run a checksum per the FAQ multiple times covering the same blocks to see if there is a consistency issue.  Am I on the right track?

3)  My final question is do I just re-run the pre-clear or what do I do if I find issues with the above.  Forgot to mention (in case it is useful information) that the disks are connected directly to the motherboard (ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe) with a  AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz.  I did not disable unnecessary ports in the BIOS as I'm using this box during transition to dual boot into a Windows machine that has Plex and the old drive I'll be transferring.

Email follows....

========================================================================1.13

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -m [email protected] /dev/sdi == == Disk /dev/sdi has NOT been successfully precleared == Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk== == Ran 1 cycle == == Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes == Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 8:56:52 (93 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Zeroing time  : 7:49:47 (106 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 19:23:14 (42 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Total Time    : 36:10:53

==

== Total Elapsed Time 36:10:53

==

== Disk Start Temperature: 36C

==

== Current Disk Temperature: 28C,

==

============================================================================

** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdi  /tmp/smart_finish_sdi

ATTRIBUTE  NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE

Seek_Error_Rate =  100    200            0        ok          0

Temperature_Celsius =  122    114            0        ok          28

No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.

0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors re-allocated did not change.

==

== S.M.A.R.T Initial Report for /dev/sdi ==

Disk: /dev/sdi

smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:    WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0

Serial Number:    WD-WMC1T1001327

Firmware Version: 80.00A80

User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:  9

ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated

Local Time is:    Mon Feb 25 00:28:18 2013 CST

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity

was never started.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.

Self-test execution status:      (  0) The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever

been run.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection: (42600) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  2) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 255) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  5) minutes.

SCT capabilities:       (0x70bd) SCT Status supported.

SCT Error Recovery Control supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027  185  174  021    Pre-fail  Always      -      5708

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      17

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x002e  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      51

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      14

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      9

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      7

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  114  109  000    Old_age  Always      -      36

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      17

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0

SMART Error Log Version: 1

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1 No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

==

==

== S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sdi

==

smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device Model:    WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0

ATA Version is:  9

Local Time is:    Tue Feb 26 12:39:11 2013 CST

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity

was never started.

Self-test execution status:      (  0) The previous self-test routine completed

been run.

data collection: (42600) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

command.

Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  2) minutes.

recommended polling time: ( 255) minutes.

recommended polling time: (  5) minutes.

SCT capabilities:       (0x70bd) SCT Status supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027  185  174  021    Pre-fail  Always      -      5708

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      17

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x002e  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      87

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      14

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      9

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      7

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  122  109  000    Old_age  Always      -      28

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      17

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  100  253  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1 No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

==

I could also use some help with some preclear result interpretations

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdr
==  WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0    WD-WCAZA0358422
== Disk /dev/sdr has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 64 
== Ran 1 cycle
==
== Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 7:06:00 (78 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 5:57:45 (93 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 13:49:47 (40 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 26:54:32
==
== Total Elapsed Time 26:54:32
==
== Disk Start Temperature: 22C
==
== Current Disk Temperature: 33C, 
==
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdr  /tmp/smart_finish_sdr
                ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Temperature_Celsius =   117     128            0        ok          33

1 sector was pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
1 sector was pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
65535 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
48 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
    a change of 47 in the number of sectors pending re-allocation.

I've attached the other relevant preclear files to this post.

preclear_finish__WD-WCAZA0358422_2013-02-26.txt

preclear_rpt__WD-WCAZA0358422_2013-02-26.txt

preclear_start__WD-WCAZA0358422_2013-02-26.txt

Need help interpreting my preclear.sh results.  I selected to have the result emailed to me per the Configuration Tutorial (./preclear_disk.sh -m [email protected] /dev/sdX) and received the email attached below.

With the exception of UDMA_CRC_Error_Count (I put in two drives but one of the two was an open box so it wasn't perfectly new, it is possible the Error Count occurred on other hardware, the value didn't change from pre to post so I'm pretty sure there is no issue with the CRC error count) the only other issue is "Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk".  I've read the forums and it is clear that some bytes were non-zero even after being zeroed out.  I have a few questions:

1)  The subject line of the email was "Preclear: PASS! Preclearing Disk sdi Finished!!! Cycle 1 of 1".  I'm thrown off by the "PASS!" as that contradicts the "Disk /dev/sdi has NOT been successfully precleared ".  Am I missing something?

2)  The forums suggest that a "postread" issue could be attributable to a lot of issues and to start with a memory check and then a dd/checksum test.  I think I've done enough reading to know what I need to do so I'm primarily asking for validation:

a)  I had previously precleared a smaller drive (500 MB) without error, does that help isolate the problem with this result?

b)  For the memory test, I read a post Joe L. made (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23753.0) and will do a memory check tonight.  I have 2 GB of ram on this machine, while I was running two preclears on 3TB drives (I didn't have any array running), I did install Plex Media Server (although didn't enable it) including doing a wget, used the unMenu package manager to install infozip. I wouldn't think any of those things would be memory intensive and/or contribute to issues but thought I would mention them.  I'll know more once I run a memory check but thought I'd ask, if anything I did might have contributed to the post read issues.

c)  For the dd /checksum test, I've found two points of information that I think verify what I need to do.  The first is the unRAID section on How To Troubleshoot Recurring Parity Errors and the other is Joe L's post at the bottom of this forum page (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19975.0).  From what I gather, I need to take a look in /tmp/postread_errorssda to find which blocks to check.  I can then repeat some of the specific post read checks as Joe outlined in his posting.  I can also run a checksum per the FAQ multiple times covering the same blocks to see if there is a consistency issue.  Am I on the right track?

3)  My final question is do I just re-run the pre-clear or what do I do if I find issues with the above.  Forgot to mention (in case it is useful information) that the disks are connected directly to the motherboard (ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe) with a  AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz.  I did not disable unnecessary ports in the BIOS as I'm using this box during transition to dual boot into a Windows machine that has Plex and the old drive I'll be transferring.

Email follows.... 

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -m [email protected] /dev/sdi == == Disk /dev/sdi has NOT been successfully precleared == Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk== == Ran 1 cycle == == Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes == Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 8:56:52 (93 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 7:49:47 (106 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 19:23:14 (42 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 36:10:53
==
== Total Elapsed Time 36:10:53
==
== Disk Start Temperature: 36C
==
== Current Disk Temperature: 28C,
==
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdi  /tmp/smart_finish_sdi
          Seek_Error_Rate =   100     200            0        ok          0
      Temperature_Celsius =   122     114            0        ok          28

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
    the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
==
== S.M.A.R.T Initial Report for /dev/sdi ==
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device Model:     WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
ATA Version is:   9
Local Time is:    Mon Feb 25 00:28:18 2013 CST

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
				was never started.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				been run.
data collection: 		 (42600) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				command.
				Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
				power-saving mode.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
recommended polling time: 	 ( 255) minutes.
recommended polling time: 	 (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x70bd)	SCT Status supported.

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   185   174   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5708
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       51
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       14
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       9
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       7
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   114   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       36
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

No Errors Logged

==

==
== S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sdi
==
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device Model:     WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
ATA Version is:   9
Local Time is:    Tue Feb 26 12:39:11 2013 CST

General SMART Values:
				was never started.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				been run.
data collection: 		 (42600) seconds.
Offline data collection
				command.
				Self-test supported.
				power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine 
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x70bd)	SCT Status supported.

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   185   174   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5708
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       87
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       14
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       9
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       7
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   122   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       28
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

No Errors Logged

==

Ignore the mail subject.  Apparently it is not looking at the actual results. 

If the preclear said " Disk /dev/sdi has NOT been successfully precleared == Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk=="  then it is NOT cleared.

I'd run another pass, and capture the actual screen output, not the mail although it really does not matter where the errors were, if it was unable the read back all zeros, the disk is really messed up.  I'd not trust it in my array.    On the other hand, it could just be that your power supply is marginal, or the memory in your server is marginal, or not configured properly for voltage, clock speed, or timing.

You are on the right track as far as troubleshooting the issue.  Eliminate the easier items first.. (memory test)

Joe L.

I have a WD15EADS that a friend gave me from his old stash. It's preclearing MUCH slower than other drives I've been preclearing and adding to my new server. After 9 hours it's only 40% through pre-reading the first of two cycles - unMenu is showing 18MB/s but it started out at 3MB/s.

Besides this one, the slowest drives I've precleared have gone at more like 40MB/s and the first drives were liike 2-3x that even.

Is this just a sign that it's a very old slow drive? Or would this mean that something is wrong? I can post the preclear results when the drive is finished, but at this rate it's going to take another 5 days to finish the 2 cycles I'm running.

Two questions:-

A. I have an "End_to_end" error on a drive I'm currently preclearing (Warned me at the start, just started it. Can't do any harm to preclear it). Here's the smart report off unmenu:-

martctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device Model:     ST3000DM001-1CH166
Serial Number:    Z1F0Z1XZ
Firmware Version: CC43
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4
Local Time is:    Wed Feb 27 17:44:45 2013 GMT

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.

General SMART Values:
				was never started.
				been run.
data collection: 		 ( 600) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				command.
				No Offline surface scan supported.
				Self-test supported.
				power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   1) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x3085)	SCT Status supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   113   099   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       53356440
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   091   090   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       85
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   061   055   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       12890110958
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       3350
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       46
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   099   099   099    Old_age   Always   FAILING_NOW 1
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   077   057   045    Old_age   Always       -       23 (Min/Max 22/23)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       905
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   023   043   000    Old_age   Always       -       23 (0 16 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       768
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       124730145246361
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       22497570897
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       44084490249

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Conveyance offline  Completed without error       00%      2877         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

It's still in warranty (and will be for quite a lot longer, ~ 2 years), any advice? Like I said, it's currently preclearing anyway, if it gets any worse I guess that's a good thing (Easier RMA & saved me from data troubles)

Second thing is:-

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdj'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

On both my 3TB HDDs that were previously in my windows build, anything I just do first? Or just preclear them and dump them into the array.

Interesting in that the end-to-end error says FAILING_NOW, but the overall smart status is PASSED.

I would RMA the drive on just that.  Buggy firmware.

Yu can ignore any warnings from the preclear script about fdisk and gpt partitions on drives over 2.2TB.  The GPT partitions are expected, and fdisk is only being used to read the MBR, not partition the disk, so it is safe.

Joe L.

== Ran 1 cycle
==
==
==
==
==

Hey Joe, not sure if you missed my post, but given the weird results of this preclear, I could use your input :)

Thanks!

== Ran 1 cycle
==
==
==
==
==

Hey Joe, not sure if you missed my post, but given the weird results of this preclear, I could use your input :)

Thanks!

Sorry, I did miss it.

This line is weird...

I would not expect for sectors to be pending re-allocation after being written.  (and it is the highest count I've ever seen)  Makes me want to RMA the disk for buggy firmware.  (did you perhaps run two pre-clears on it at the same time, with one writing, while another was reading?)

In any case, there were still 47 sectors that it could not re-allocate, and on that I'd RMA the drive.

You should, if you decide to keep the drive put it through at least one more preclear cycle, and if cannot come through with all the sectors re-allocated, and no new ones detected as unreadable, RMA it.

== Ran 1 cycle
==
==
==
==
==

Thanks!

Sorry, I did miss it.

This line is weird...

I would not expect for sectors to be pending re-allocation after being written.  (and it is the highest count I've ever seen)  Makes me want to RMA the disk for buggy firmware.  (did you perhaps run two pre-clears on it at the same time, with one writing, while another was reading?)

In any case, there were still 47 sectors that it could not re-allocate, and on that I'd RMA the drive.

You should, if you decide to keep the drive put it through at least one more preclear cycle, and if cannot come through with all the sectors re-allocated, and no new ones detected as unreadable, RMA it.

Well, instantly that number calls out to me, 65535 being the maximum number a two byte integer (short) can be, that alone (being exactly 2^16-1) sounds dodgy.

== Ran 1 cycle
==
==
==
==
==

Thanks!

Sorry, I did miss it.

This line is weird...

Didn't run 2 preclears at the same time... I decided to RMA the drive, as I already had a different drive ready to RMA, just needed to drop it off.  I like a column of 0's on the preclear report and when I see large numbers like this, I figured RMA was the likely suggestion.

Thanks again!

== Ran 1 cycle
==
==
==
==
==

Thanks!

Sorry, I did miss it.

This line is weird...

Well, instantly that number calls out to me, 65535 being the maximum number a two byte integer (short) can be, that alone (being exactly 2^16-1) sounds dodgy.

Yeah, I saw this comment somewhere else on this forum, but regardless of that number not being a coincidence, is there anything that can be done in terms of identifying the cause, or is it a potentially an issue with the preclear script?

The preclear script has nothing that is limited to 65535...  It simply reports what it gets from the smartctl reports it invokes while it is processing. 

I'd suspect the drive, not the script.  If anything else might be involved it is your system RAM, or power supply.

Joe L.

I posted this previously, but have a feeling it was either not specific enough or got lost because the thread went to the next page. Trying one more time just in case:

I have a WD15EADS that a friend gave me from his old stash. It's preclearing MUCH slower than other drives I've been preclearing and adding to my new server. After 9 hours it's only 40% through pre-reading the first of two cycles - unMenu is showing 18MB/s (now 12MB/s) but it started out at 3MB/s.

Besides this one, the slowest drives I've pre-read have gone at more like 40MB/s and the first drives were liike 2-3x that even.

Is this just a sign that it's a very old slow drive? Or would this mean that something is wrong? I can post the preclear results when the drive is finished, but at this rate it's going to take another 5 days to finish the 2 cycles I'm running.

I posted this previously, but have a feeling it was either not specific enough or got lost because the thread went to the next page. Trying one more time just in case:

I have a WD15EADS that a friend gave me from his old stash. It's preclearing MUCH slower than other drives I've been preclearing and adding to my new server. After 9 hours it's only 40% through pre-reading the first of two cycles - unMenu is showing 18MB/s (now 12MB/s) but it started out at 3MB/s.

Besides this one, the slowest drives I've pre-read have gone at more like 40MB/s and the first drives were liike 2-3x that even.

look in the system log.  If no errors, it is just a very slow drive.  (older drives were much slower)

Joe L.

The preclear script has nothing that is limited to 65535...  It simply reports what it gets from the smartctl reports it invokes while it is processing. 

I'd suspect the drive, not the script.  If anything else might be involved it is your system RAM, or power supply.

Joe L.

I've got a 3TB WD Green drive that flip/flops pending sectors.  One pass it's 65535 then next it's zero then 65535 then zero etc.. for at least 6 passes.  I'm going to RMA since the last pass left it at 65535. That was the highest I've ever seen too.  It was a drive WD upgraded me too when I RMA'd another defective 2TB drive to them.  It was the "last straw" for me on WD green drives just had too many go bad on me lately.  Only had 1 out of 10 WD Red's bad so far which is much better than the 30% failure rate of Seagate drives and 40% of WD Greens.  Sure wish Hitachi and Samsung still made drives.  Guess I'll have to try some Toshiba besides the WD Red's.  Oh they were all purchased in 1's and 2's mostly from newegg but not all and as I said even straight from WD RMA process.  And for me I know it isn't a power supply as it was the only HDD in a preclear station that has cleared 90% of all of the drives I've got some before and after this one.  It's just a bad drive >:(.

smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device Model:     WDC WD30EZRS-11J99B1
Serial Number:    WD-WCAWZ0773504
ATA Version is:   8
Local Time is:    Wed Feb 27 19:11:21 2013 CST

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84)	Offline data collection activity
				was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
				Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
				been run.
data collection: 		 (52980) seconds.
Offline data collection
				command.
				Self-test supported.
				power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine 
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x3035)	SCT Status supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       21
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   161   147   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       8950
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       52
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       4028
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       46
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       41
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       5400
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   130   104   000    Old_age   Always       -       22
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   066   066   000    Old_age   Always       -       65535
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       4
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       405
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       3

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS