Exciting Announcements from DockerCon

jonp

http://bit.ly/1KbgCfE

Exciting read about the future of Docker Containers.  Favorite section of the article?

Early Docker adopters have thus far been bedeviled by the technology's networking limitations. The old Docker networking paradigm was single-host, inflexible, and limited to a single network. Working with technology that the company acquired from SocketPlane back in March, the company delivered Docker Network, an experimental feature for developers to create multi-container topologies that can span multiple containers, hosts and networks.

Consistent with other tools in the portfolio, Docker Network takes an application-centric approach to the problem.

"The network should be part of the application, not the other way around," said Solomon Hykes, Docker co-founder and CTO during the keynote.

Imagine an app needs three containers to run:  one for a database such as mysql, and another for a webserver such as apache.  Well, the application could be "run" as a single command, and then pull the necessary containers in a predefined internal network configuration that links them all together.  This is container orchestration, and it solves a lot of "best practices" issues that we face with Docker today.

In short, today's container approach "gets the job done" for our use cases, and does quite a good job at that I may say.  But the future looks even better as we can begin building clusters of containers to form apps in more effective and more efficient ways than ever before.  I'm excited for what the future holds with containers in general, but especially on unRAID 6, and you should too!!

http://bit.ly/1KbgCfE

I'm excited for what the future holds with containers in general, but especially on unRAID 6, and you should too!!

Okay, I'm excited!  I hadn't used docker really prior to unraid, and I was a hold out until unraid 6 final came around, and man oh man, I'm LOVING what you guys have done so far.  I get the just of the comment you posted but if you're excited about it, and what the possibilities are for unraid, then I am as well!

cool, i can stop building containers that are all in one if this gets implemented.

i work in a development team devoted to continuous delivery and deployment, Docker is one of the tools we have picked up on (partly due to my showcase) for this end goal. We have a complex application we are firstly putting through automated testing, this is using some quite funky methods to achieve this, one is using docker in docker to keep a clean environment for the application being tested, we also use Jenkins with dynamically created Jenkins slaves that are spun up using Docker, the other being the use of building images FROM images, as the application requires a LOT of prereqs.

so why am i mentioning all this you might be asking sparkly :-), well one of the things you can do if you need multiple applications in a single container is to build individual images as building blocks for end images. To give you a working example i have two docker images i have produced, both have openvpn and privoxy included, rather than install openvpn and privoxy plus the application via the dockerfile, i create a separate docker images that ONLY includes openvpn privoxy, i then reference this using the FROM statement to include this image as the base for the application.

you could do the same for example mariadb, mysql, etc, so anything that is common to more than one docker image can be used in this manner. this has two advantages, simpler dockerfiles, and of course less space and download time for the end user, as the image will be cached and reused with zero download.

docker orchestration does look pretty good, im assuming jonp you've had a play with kitematic for windows right?, its a signup alpha right now but i got signed up (i receive docker newsletters), if you cant get in then let me know and i will send you the windows installer, of course im still hanging out for true docker on windows :-).

https://blog.docker.com/2015/06/kitematic-windows-alpha/

Kitematic will get you by, but it'd be even better if Microsoft developed an interoperable container platform based on the NT kernel so we could truly have universal application support for docker beyond just Linux. I know I know, this might be a long shot, but a guy can dream can't he?!

Have no real interest in kitematic for my personal use really, unRAID is enough for me and its on every x86 computer I own, but I probably should check it out. I know Eric has.

The concept your talking about with image layering is exactly what we want to see from the container dev community. The trick has been getting docker to support the idea of apps made up of multiple containers. That the problem isn't solved yet with containers alone. The way we use containers today is ideal because its easier for consumers to understand and maintainers to manage, but when a multi container based run statement can exist that pulls all this stuff together auto-magically, well yeah, bust out the magician cape because that's pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Awesome.

Kitematic will get you by, but it'd be even better if Microsoft developed an interoperable container platform based on the NT kernel so we could truly have universal application support for docker beyond just Linux. I know I know, this might be a long shot, but a guy can dream can't he?!

your aware microsft is including native support for docker (no vm cleverness) in windows 10 server though right?, albeit the microsoft version of docker :-)

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/docker-on-windows-server-how-will-it-work--1275009

your aware microsft is including native support for docker (no vm cleverness) in windows 10 server though right?, albeit the microsoft version of docker :-)

ah, so that will be the one with the Microsoft 'improvements' which just happen to make it incompatible, in some way, with the original 'standard'?

ah, so that will be the one with the Microsoft 'improvements' which just happen to make it incompatible, in some way, with the original 'standard'?

lol, yeah most probably.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/docker-on-windows-server-how-will-it-work--1275009

Hmm, I was under the impression Microsoft was only adding support to run Docker on Microsoft similar to kitematic for Mac...where the containers were still Linux only.  If I misunderstood that, and they are really just porting the tech to support Windows apps in containers, then that is awesome!  We could probably do that with unRAID then where you create a Windows 10 VM and run containers inside it for Windows apps!!

Hmm, I was under the impression Microsoft was only adding support to run Docker on Microsoft similar to kitematic for Mac...where the containers were still Linux only.  If I misunderstood that, and they are really just porting the tech to support Windows apps in containers, then that is awesome!  We could probably do that with unRAID then where you create a Windows 10 VM and run containers inside it for Windows apps!!

Jonp, Remember this is for Windows 10 Server. Cost will be high!

Aww shucks. That sucks.

Aww shucks. That sucks.

just to confirm though, we are talking NATIVE support for docker here, no under the hood trickery with running linux in a vm on windows, however as rightly said there would a licence cost for the server edition, and it would of course be "microsoft's docker" :-), who knows maybe microsoft will surprise everybody and cut the cost significantly for the server product, hell everybody knows microsoft is now playing catchup with the kool kids, they go a lot og wooing to do :-)

cool, i can stop building containers that are all in one if this gets implemented.

i work in a development team devoted to continuous delivery and deployment, Docker is one of the tools we have picked up on (partly due to my showcase) for this end goal. We have a complex application we are firstly putting through automated testing, this is using some quite funky methods to achieve this, one is using docker in docker to keep a clean environment for the application being tested, we also use Jenkins with dynamically created Jenkins slaves that are spun up using Docker, the other being the use of building images FROM images, as the application requires a LOT of prereqs.

so why am i mentioning all this you might be asking sparkly :-), well one of the things you can do if you need multiple applications in a single container is to build individual images as building blocks for end images. To give you a working example i have two docker images i have produced, both have openvpn and privoxy included, rather than install openvpn and privoxy plus the application via the dockerfile, i create a separate docker images that ONLY includes openvpn privoxy, i then reference this using the FROM statement to include this image as the base for the application.

you could do the same for example mariadb, mysql, etc, so anything that is common to more than one docker image can be used in this manner. this has two advantages, simpler dockerfiles, and of course less space and download time for the end user, as the image will be cached and reused with zero download.

docker orchestration does look pretty good, im assuming jonp you've had a play with kitematic for windows right?, its a signup alpha right now but i got signed up (i receive docker newsletters), if you cant get in then let me know and i will send you the windows installer, of course im still hanging out for true docker on windows :-).

i've built a couple of containers that way also, and the rdp type containers are built from hurricane's base image with all the rdp stuff baked in, so don't have to do it for every container.

i like the idea though of linked containers better, get back to separating things out into self contained dockers and putting them together like pieces.

only downside in the unraid environment is you need to get this, this, this and this container for this app to work.

a change to that would be most welcome.

i've built a couple of containers that way also, and the rdp type containers are built from hurricane's base image with all the rdp stuff baked in, so don't have to do it for every container.

i like the idea though of linked containers better, get back to separating things out into self contained dockers and putting them together like pieces.

only downside in the unraid environment is you need to get this, this, this and this container for this app to work.

a change to that would be most welcome.

Not if the unraid docker templates and built in docker manager build in support for container dependencies at a resource provider and resource consumer perspective. :D