upgraded to v6 - Why is allocated memory 3450 MB out of 4096 installed?

Ned

As the subject says, looking at the v6 dashboard, it shows that there is 3450 MB of memory allocated out of 4096 installed.  I thought that v6 was 64-bit and that it can use all available memory?

I'm about to install another 4GB to make it a total of 8GB (so I can run some VMs) but I'd like to know if there is something I need to do to get unRAID to recognize all of it.

Thanks!

How much of your memory is being allocated to onboard video, if any?

No idea... how do I check that?

In your BIOS settings.  You want to set it to as low as possible

...so if I install another 4GB of memory, will the system recognize it and allow me to use it?

yes

Operating systems tend to use unused memory for caching. It is quite likely if you doubled your memory that you'd find that 90% of it was allocated at any one time. If the OS needs more memory, it can dynamically reduce the memory cache and use it for another purpose.

4G was once a generous size for unRAID, but if you are running lots of addons, and especially if VMs are in your future, upgrading memory is a good idea. But I would not use this one data point to indicate that adding memory is necessary at this time.

I found the BIOS setting for graphics memory allocation - it was set to "Auto" and was allocating the maximum 512MB.  I changed it to the lowest setting of 128MB and unRAID started allocating the additional memory.  unRAID is also recognizing the full 8GB of memory now too so it is showing 7860MB allocated out of 8192MB total installed.

Thanks!

Archived