CPU supports HVM but not IOMMU - limitations?

Ned

My server is running a AMD Athlon II X4 615e @ 2.5 GHz.  I have the Dynamix System Information Plugin installed and it is telling me that my CPU supports HVM but IOMMU is disabled.

I checked the BIOS on the motherboard and there is only the one setting to enable VM support (which effectively enabled HVM).  Is there anything else I need to do to enable this (assuming it is supported on my CPU)?

If IOMMU is not supported, what limitations will I have when running VMs?

My server is running a AMD Athlon II X4 615e @ 2.5 GHz.  I have the Dynamix System Information Plugin installed and it is telling me that my CPU supports HVM but IOMMU is disabled.

I checked the BIOS on the motherboard and there is only the one setting to enable VM support (which effectively enabled HVM).  Is there anything else I need to do to enable this (assuming it is supported on my CPU)?

You can click on disabled and read more details in the wiki.

You won't be able to do PCI passthrough

So does that mean any PCI add-on cards would not be accessible to the VMs if I wanted to do that or does it mean something else?

Would the VMs still have access to available USB ports on the motherboard?

So does that mean any PCI add-on cards would not be accessible to the VMs if I wanted to do that or does it mean something else?

I also don't have IOMMU, this would do hardware emulation, Windows shows me the USB ports (haven't connected anything to it though)...

I also don't have IOMMU, this would do hardware emulation, Windows shows me the USB ports (haven't connected anything to it though)...

It's good to hear that the USB ports are visible in the Windows VM without IOMMU... the application I want to use requires a USB connection... wondering if it would be too much to ask of you to try and connect something to one of your USB ports to confirm that Windows can see the device?

Thanks!

Archived