Can I remove an empty HDD from array and restart without it?

Using UnRaid 6.0.1.

So, I've got this Seagate HDD that UnRaid said was bad.  I ran a smart report twice and nothing was found bad with it. I ran the Seagate software to see if anything was wrong with it, and it didn't find anything wrong with it.

So, I pre-cleared it again, and added it back to the array.  Well, today I am trying to access my server, and I can't.  It too 30 min to finally get access to the GUI, and I noticed that same drive had an red X.  The drive at the moment is empty and has no data in it.

I was wondering if I can remove the hard drive from the array, and re-start the array with out that hard drive?  If it is possible what's the process?

If you want the array configured without that drive then Tools - New Config. You will have to reassign all your drives. Make very sure you don't accidentally assign a data drive to the parity slot. Then start the array and let parity rebuild.

Thanks, I guess it is call Shrink Array!

Now, the new issue.  When I brought up the GUI, now Disk 1 has a red X, and under it says Not Installed.  I stopped the array, and Disk 1 (Hitachi) isn't on the list anymore.  WTF!

If you want the array configured without that drive then Tools - New Config. You will have to reassign all your drives. Make very sure you don't accidentally assign a data drive to the parity slot. Then start the array and let parity rebuild.

Thanks, I guess it is call Shrink Array!

Now, the new issue.  When I brought up the GUI, now Disk 1 has a red X, and under it says Not Installed.  I stopped the array, and Disk 1 (Hitachi) isn't on the list anymore.  WTF!

IF you physically removed that 'extra' drive, double check that you did not unseat one of drive connectors.  (The design of SATA connectors does not really provide a connector-to-cable connection that is solidly mechanically secure.) 

So, I've been dealing with some family issues at the moment.  So, I haven't had time to get back to this.  However, I just turned on my server, and it told me that the Hitachi hdd was not install.  I stopped the array, and I was able to pick the Hitachi hdd this time.  Now, it is rebuilding the array.

This is weird because before, the Hitachi hdd was not on the list, and I wasn't able to chose it.  I've attached a system.log this time.  Thanks for all the help!

tower-syslog-20150812-2026.zip