Is a very slow parity sync normal?

Just Me

Hey!

I just upgraded my 3TB parity drive to a 4TB drive, unRAID is running a parity sync right now. Is it normal that a parity sync takes forever? The speed is just 36 MB/sec so it will take about 32 hours to finish the sync. That seems very long for me. A parity check takes 11,5 hours with an average speed of 72,5 MB/sec.

I'm running unRAID 6.0.1.

Thanks in advance.

Hey!

I just upgraded my 3TB parity drive to a 4TB drive, unRAID is running a parity sync right now. Is it normal that a parity sync takes forever? The speed is just 36 MB/sec so it will take about 32 hours to finish the sync. That seems very long for me. A parity check takes 11,5 hours with an average speed of 72,5 MB/sec.

I'm running unRAID 6.0.1.

Thanks in advance.

Did you test the new drive with preclear?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post

Assuming you plugged in the 4TB where you had the 3TB plugged in it should be similar in speed. Some disks will be faster than others, but not by that much.

Maybe you have a bad connection with a drive. Maybe bumped a cable or something when you were changing the drive out. Anything new in the syslog?

Just for information:

Maybe the slow parity sync was related to a faulty drive, one drive shows this issue:

#	Attribute Name	        Flag	Value	Worst	Threshold	Type 	       Updated	Failed         	Raw Value
1	Raw Read Error Rate	0x002f	001	001	051	        Pre-fail	Always	FAILING NOW	36201

But on the other hand the parity check I'm running right now seems to run at a normal speed.  ???

Just for information:

Maybe the slow parity sync was related to a faulty drive, one drive shows this issue:

#   Attribute Name           Flag   Value   Worst   Threshold   Type           Updated   Failed            Raw Value
1   Raw Read Error Rate   0x002f   001   001   051           Pre-fail   Always   FAILING NOW   36201

But on the other hand the parity check I'm running right now seems to run at a normal speed.  ???

It is probably at a good spot on the disk.  You probably will find it slowing down in other locations.  Since smart says failing now I would believe it and replace THAT drive.  I've seen smart report falsely and not indicate a drive was having problems.  But I've never seen a drive with a "FAILING NOW" get better.  But I suppose it is possible.

Yeah I'll definitely replace it after the parity check. I know it is normal for Seagate drives to have high Raw Read Errors but since it is an old Samsung drive a raw value of zero is normal so there is definitely something wrong with this device.

Edit: BTW, unRAID don't report an issue with this drive. Maybe unRAID should check the smart reports for the expression "failing now" and report such a drive as bad.

Yeah I'll definitely replace it after the parity check. I know it is normal for Seagate drives to have high Raw Read Errors but since it is an old Samsung drive a raw value of zero is normal so there is definitely something wrong with this device.

Edit: BTW, unRAID don't report an issue with this drive. Maybe unRAID should check the smart reports for the expression "failing now" and report such a drive as bad.

For "Raw Read Errors" I don't look at the "raw value" column I look at the "value" and "threshold" columns because of Seagate drives.  When value gets close to threshold and has changed to get there then I start looking for a replacement.  The only raw values I look at are pending and relocated sectors and usually temperatures.

Check your settings if your using v6 you might have it turned off for notifications.  Not sure how the notifications work either.  They might only look at raw values too - don't know.

For "Raw Read Errors" I don't look at the "raw value" column I look at the "value" and "threshold" columns because of Seagate drives.  When value gets close to threshold and has changed to get there then I start looking for a replacement.

Yep, that seems to be the best way to handle these kind of Smart data.

Check your settings if your using v6 you might have it turned off for notifications.  Not sure how the notifications work either.  They might only look at raw values too - don't know.

I get a daily report via email and unRAID reported all drives as okay. It seems unRAID won't check the raw read error value maybe because of seagate drives. But I don't know either.

I get a daily report via email and unRAID reported all drives as okay. It seems unRAID won't check the raw read error value maybe because of seagate drives. But I don't know either.

Actually there is a setting for each smart value that you can turn on and off and that is what I was referring to.  Someone else will have to tell you where it is as I've stumbled in to it once and cannot give directions since I don't remember how I got there.

Actually there is a setting for each smart value that you can turn on and off and that is what I was referring to.  Someone else will have to tell you where it is as I've stumbled in to it once and cannot give directions since I don't remember how I got there.

Notification Settings, turn on Advanced View. You can add attribute numbers that you want included for notifications.

Archived