We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[Solved] Boot windows vm via cloned image

joelones

I'm contemplating gpu pass through and I have a syspreped windows 7 image that I'd like to clone to a kvm vm. I can boot to clonezilla via pxeboot with the newly created windows vm instance. But I'm curious before I try it whether I'd be able to boot once the clone completed as the syspreped image doesn't have the virtio drivers integrated thus can't read the vdisk.

Thoughts on i can mitigate this?

I'm contemplating gpu pass through and I have a syspreped windows 7 image that I'd like to clone to a kvm vm. I can boot to clonezilla via pxeboot with the newly created windows vm instance. But I'm curious before I try it whether I'd be able to boot once the clone completed as the syspreped image doesn't have the virtio drivers integrated thus can't read the vdisk.

Thoughts on i can mitigate this?

Please see the following procedure to perform a physical to virtual machine conversion:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Physical_to_Virtual_Machine_Conversion_Process

Bit of an odd problem. I'm trying to install the Balloon driver by Right-clicking on the balloon.inf file and clicking Install from the context menu, but getting "The INF File You selected does not support this method of installation". I'm on windows 7 64 and navigating to D:\Balloon\w7\amd64 (version 109 of the drivers).

Tried via the device mgr as well which what I assumed was the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" but "Windows could not find driver software for your device"...

EDIT:

Works with:

PNPUTIL -a <inf file> 

Did you complete all of step 2?

The secondary disk image step is not necessary if you manually install the viostor drivers along with the rest of the drivers on first boot of windows with the interface set to ide. The secondary image makes it more automatic in windows, as the secondary image isn't needed to boot but still automatically prompts the installation of the viostor driver set, but if you right click on the root device in device manager and add legacy hardware, you can install the viostor drivers that way and avoid the creation and deletion of the second image.

Alternate method of accomplishing the same thing, might be easier for someone more familiar with windows, and it provides positive feedback that the viostor driver did in fact get installed.

I think the OP solved the issue here. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42322.msg402642#msg402642

Did you complete all of step 2?

The secondary disk image step is not necessary if you manually install the viostor drivers along with the rest of the drivers on first boot of windows with the interface set to ide...if you right click on the root device in device manager and add legacy hardware, you can install the viostor drivers that way and avoid the creation and deletion of the second image.

I tried this and it failed for me.  Maybe this changed with 0.1.102 or 0.1.109?

So sounds like everything's working now.  I'll mark this thread solved.

Archived