Wake on Lan on Gigabyte H97N-WIFI issues

I am trying to find out if the Gigabyte H97N-WIFI mITX board supports WOL properly. I can use the Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin to successfully put the NAs to sleep but I can't get it to wake up again without pressing the power button.

I am running unRAID 6.0.1 at the moment.

The only BIOS setting to do with WOL on the current H97N BIOS is the Wake On Lan one which I confirmed was enabled.

ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: Unknown
        Current message level: 0x000060e4 (24804)
                               link ifup rx_err tx_err hw wol
        Link detected: yes

Any thoughts on what I should check next?

An update... by default the GA-H97N-WIFI board enables both the Atheros and Intel NICs. Because the BIOS is badly labelled, it is hard to work out which is which but by disabling the Atheros NIC, unRAID automatically selects the Intel one. The result of ethtool eth0 is now...

ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        PHYAD: 1
        MDI-X: on (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link

So it looks like I am now making progress towards having the NAS sleep but wake on LAN when wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious if you got WOL to work with your Gigabyte H97N WiFi board.  I am considering upgrading my unRAID server from the current Biostar TH61-ITX MB to the Gigabyte H97N with an i5 4590 CPU.  I do sleep the server from time to time with Dynamix S3 sleep and I have no issues waking up the Biostar board with a magic packet.  Did you get it to work on the Gigabyte without a power button press?

TIA

Yes I did get it working - but only on the Intel NIC.

I am on Linux Mint now rather than Windows but I have a desktop icon that uses the powerwake app with the MAC address of the Intel NIC and it wakes when I poke it. I hear the PSU click, the fans go to max (as they should) then the Dynamix fan script drops them back to low as specified in the Fan Control plugin.

Note that I had to add the following lines to the go file in the /config folder because the specific it87 implementation on the GA-H97N board is not in the unRAID kernel yet...

# modprobe for sensors
modprobe coretemp
modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728

Dymanix will correctly sleep the server according to the settings you specify. I have not yet worked how to handle the monthly parity check or the early morning Mover job in conjunction with the Sleep plugin so I do them by hand when I remember.

The HPA issue is no longer a problem.

FWIW, the issue was that Gigabyte would create a small Host Protected Area (HPA) on the first hard drive it enumerated and save a copy of the BIOS in that area.    This HPA uses a small amount of the disk, so that it appears to be a slightly smaller disk.    This would cause problems if this disk was the parity disk, as it would no longer be the largest disk in the system.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi board, and it has an Intel and a Realtek NIC.  I finally figured out how to disable the Realtek (Disable On Board LAN Controller) and make sure the Intel was enabled (Enable PCH LAN Controller) although it was trial and error due to lack of informative BIOS labels.

However, regardless of which NIC I use, I cannot get unRAID to properly wake up.  WOL is enabled.  The server sleeps with Dynamix sleep, but, attempting to wake it up via magic packet or button press results in fans spinning back up and the appearance of the server running again; however, there is no display on the attached monitor and there is no GUI or console/command line/PuTTy access as there is no network connectivity.  The only way to restart is to press the power button for four seconds.  On restart, an unclean shutdown is detected and parity check starts.

I had no such issues with the prior MB (Biostar TH61-ITX) and NIC (Realtek 8111 - same as Realtek NIC on the Gigabyte).  I have a Gigabyte motherboard in my main desktop PC and I noticed that if I put it to sleep, the monitor would not wake up on it either.

Any ideas?

Does ethtool report Wake-On: g?

Yes.

Settings for eth0:
                        1000baseT/Full 
Supported pause frame use: No
                        1000baseT/Full 
Advertised pause frame use: No
PHYAD: 1
MDI-X: on (auto)
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
		       drv probe link

It tries to wake up and appears to do so (spinning fans, PS engaging), but, there is no access to GUI or console after "wake up", no network activity and monitor remains asleep.  Perhaps some other BIOS setting is not correct.

Solved it! (partially)

I reset BIOS to optimal defaults and started over with BIOS changes only changing things like boot from USB for unRAID, disabled Realtek NIC, disable serial port, initialize IGFX.  Everything else I left at defaults.  It appears a BIOS change I made previously while trying to turn off everything I deemed unnecessary must have caused problems.  System now wakes up properly and I have command line (through PuTTY) and GUI access after WOL.  The monitor, however, remains asleep and will not wake up.  I takes a reboot for the monitor to come alive again.  Not a huge deal but, I would still like to solve it, so, I'll keep puttering around in BIOS.

A quick search for Gigabyte Z97 bios wake on lan throws this bios setting up (I have the H97 and its bios is different)...

"Under Advanced, enable the network Stack and the set Ipv4/Ipv6 PXE Support as desired. <--- this is your wake on.."

According to the manual, enable network stack is needed only for booting from a network and does not appear to be related to WOL.  There is a Wake on LAN setting in my BIOS and I have it enabled.  After resetting BIOS to defaults, Network Stack (its a pre-POST setting) remains disabled and WOL is now working (except for monitor) properly.  BIOS settings can be such an adventure.