Handling NZB Programs in with UnRAID

NotYetRated

Hi all, wanted to see how others are doing NZB's with unRAID. I am migrating from a Windows Server environment, where I had my storage databases all on the same OS as my sickbeard, sabnzbd, etc. (Server 2008R2).

Having moved to unRAID 6.1R6, I am sturggling to decide how to best handle the downloading. I have my array, with a 240GB Intel SSD cache drive. I have a few VM's installed on the cache, namely Server 2008R2 for my Blue Iris server.

Originally, I would use an older "scrap" hard drive for my downloads, as it handles a decent amount of content and I did not really want to thrash my SSD or storage database with the large IO of my downloads/repairs/unpacks/moves etc. But, with unRAID, I don't really have that option.

I have a couple of "scrap" hard drives passed on to my windows VM, however it seems some of the programs dont like playing nice with network shares. Namely, I was attempting to try Sonarr(it wouldnt see load my shows from unraid network shares).

How are you all doing this? Are you running the applications in dockers/plugins and just using the cache drive? Something else? Which programs do you find best with unRAID?

I am using Docker containers for CouchPotato, Sonarr, Deluge (with VPN) and SAB.  Works wonderfully.  All downloaded and extracted files are on the array.

John

Ahh so you download direct to the array? No slowness issues with that? Do you download to a share that is cache'd? Who's dockers are you using for those?

Unless your SSD is totally ancient, don't worry about wearing it out.  You need to write petabytes to a SSD to wear it out, which means years of constant writing.  I've an Intel SSD that ran OS, downloads, torrents, NZBs, Plex, etc for a year and it's only done 200TB writes.  That's far, far away from wearing out, it's still at 99% health.

I'd be more worried about the old 250GB HDDs crapping out.