Using Unraid as Time Machine backup and VM backup question

steve1977

• 2 weeks later...

I have two questions related to Time Machine

I found two great threads.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26560.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19743.0

Anything changed with Unraid 6? Can I keep other files and folder on the disk where I store the AFP share? Is it better to have the share on cache drive or array drive?

Dedicate the TM share to just one of your array drives with enough space to store a full TM backup. I do 500GB share for a (currently) 250GB SSD laptop. I export it via AFP, and named it timemachine with a timemachine user and no password/security (i think).

I let TM backup via wifi, and it has been problematic in the past, but after going to 6, I completely removed it, then remade the share and did a full backup on GB the first time. I don't have the mac right now, so I can't confirm that it actually has run recently, but it did run and backup since I made the first backup. This is on a MBP (c2d) upgraded to yosemite.

You can keep other items on the disk in question (I'm assuming its something like a 2tb drive, and you have set a volume limit of 500GB for the share). My unraid just moves things there as stuff fills up, per the standard share settings for other stuff (like movies/tv/etc).

I will say though, that i've had issues with it. While its working, its great. It wouldn't hurt though, to also just have a spare usb drive that you plug into your mac every now and again to do a full TM backup, if thats what you really want. TM backups are great for restoring a mac fully, not so much for getting your random files out of the TM backup (use a seperate backup program for that).

I can't comment on Time Machine since I never use it but if you need/want to be able to get files out of your back up I'd use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner..

I currently use SuperDuper which can automate your backups.. You do need to export the Drive/Share as AFP for it to work correctly. I alternate my backups to Image files A & B (sparse image works better with UNRAID instead of Sparse Bundle, had some issues with the later). You could also write the A & B backups to different drives to increases your chances of not losing data.

Archived