We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Windows 8.1 VM not seeing any disks to install to

gulo

I've used the wiki to try and create a Win 8.1 VM, and I load all drivers up until viostor, when I select the folder for the viostor driver, the driver does not show up in the list, unless I uncheck the option to hide incompatible drivers.

Does this mean I can't create windows VMs on my hardware? It's a few years old hardware, but it's an i7.

I've used the wiki to try and create a Win 8.1 VM, and I load all drivers up until viostor, when I select the folder for the viostor driver, the driver does not show up in the list, unless I uncheck the option to hide incompatible drivers.

Does this mean I can't create windows VMs on my hardware? It's a few years old hardware, but it's an i7.

Are you sure the driver version is the same as the version of Windows you're trying to install.  ie 32bit or 64bit.  If you're not trying to passthrough any devices then your hardware shouldn't matter.

Are you sure the driver version is the same as the version of Windows you're trying to install.  ie 32bit or 64bit.  If you're not trying to passthrough any devices then your hardware shouldn't matter.

Yes I've made sure, twice, to select the amd64 folder and I'm installing from an x64 iso.

Edit: I've also tried it with the 'stable' and 'latest' virtio iso.

Yes I've made sure, twice, to select the amd64 folder and I'm installing from an x64 iso.

I'm just creating a win8 VM to see if i can figure this out..

Just try loading the storage driver only, the other drivers can all be loaded from device manager once you've installed Windows.  No need to overcomplicate things at this stage.

By the way I'm also using a RAW disk image and HyperV is switched on. (I don't think these will have an effect though)

Thanks for the help, I got it going now.

I'm pretty sure it was user error, in that I didn't specify the VM location, just everything else. It obviously let's you create a VM without a folder for the disk specified.  :o

Glad we got you sorted..

Archived