Error Creating VM /dev/net/tun

Ryan2207

Hello all im getting an error when trying to create a virtual machine unable to open dev/net/tun does anyone know how to fix this ?

First time I've ever seen this error.  What kind of VM are you trying to create and did you create this from pure XML or using the GUI editor?

What do you mean the error started after a reboot?  Are you saying you created VMs before and they worked, then rebooted, now creating a new VM causes this?

Please upload your diagnostics file so I can examine. You can obtain this from the Tools -> Diagnostics page.

I rebooted my unraid system and following the reboot, my already created vm's would not run and the error was displayed. i've attached my diagnostic below... thank you very much for your speedy response :-)

Ryan,

First and foremost, your logs have me a little concerned.  Is your server exposed to the internet directly?  Either in the DMZ or do you port forward SSH?  It appears you are having TONS of hacking attempts on your box.  Your log is literally FILLED with these messages:

Aug 31 08:52:24 RC-Server login[3385]: invalid password for 'UNKNOWN'  on '/dev/pts/1' from 'host203.181-95-166.telecom.net.ar'
Aug 31 08:52:42 RC-Server in.telnetd[3489]: connect from 181.95.166.203 (181.95.166.203)
Aug 31 08:53:22 RC-Server login[3516]: invalid password for 'UNKNOWN'  on '/dev/pts/1' from 'host203.181-95-166.telecom.net.ar'
Aug 31 09:00:12 RC-Server sshd[4482]: Failed password for root from 43.229.53.26 port 37738 ssh2
Aug 31 09:00:12 RC-Server sshd[4482]: Failed password for root from 43.229.53.26 port 37738 ssh2
Aug 31 09:00:12 RC-Server sshd[4482]: Received disconnect from 43.229.53.26: 11:  [preauth]
Aug 31 09:00:20 RC-Server sshd[4504]: Failed password for root from 43.229.53.26 port 55229 ssh2
Aug 31 09:00:20 RC-Server sshd[4504]: Failed password for root from 43.229.53.26 port 55229 ssh2

Seems like someone is trying to use a brute force attack to gain access to your box.  I highly recommend you do NOT expose your server directly to the internet this way.

Also, can you upgrade to 6.1 to see if your issues persist?

Lastly, did you recently install the OpenVPN plugin?  Did the issues occur AFTER installing this plugin only?

Hi jon

i did have it in a dmz to test out a service, its unreal to see that many hacking attempts it was only in the dmz for 7 hours while i was at work... i've since port forwarded to allow plex to be streamed from my home to anywhere, i did recently install the openvpn plugin which i've been working on configuring to allow access to my server on the road, the issue did occur after installing that plugin now that you mention it. ill upgrade to 6.1 tonight and see if that fixes it.

Thank you for taking the time to warn me of the hacking attempts i really appreciate it, could you point me to where i will find those logs in the future so i may keep an eye on it ?

It takes literally SECONDS for those hacking attempts to start once you've port forwarded SSH.  There are tons of script kiddie bots out there that literally just probe every publicly accessible IP out there for open vulnerabilities, and then they attempt brute force attacks to get control of the systems that are exposed.

Now as for OpenVPN, that plugin was recently updated to support 6.1 so lets give it a shot with the update and see what happens.  I use the OpenVPN plugin myself and don't have this issue, but I'm just curious because I think it uses that /dev/tun device so I'm wondering if there is some weird conflict going on here.

Let me know what happens after the upgrade.

• 1 year later...

I had this problem after i uninstalled OpenVPN-Client plugin (newest as of September 2016) on unRaid v6.2.0 Final. First it took a few days for the OpenVPN-client icon is disappear from the settings tab. Then, when i shutdown and restarted my Windows VM, i received this message. I resolved the issue by rebooting the unRaid server itself.

I never got around to configuring the OpenVPN-Client plugin and i used the Community Applications plugin v2016.09.28 to install it.

• 5 months later...

************** I rebooted my unraid server and things started working ************

Hello I'm also trying to create a windows 7 VM running unraid 6.3.0. I'm also getting the message "unable to open /dev/net/tun, is tun module loaded?: No such file or directoy" I'm using the template wizard under the vm tab to create by VM.  What do I need to do to get the TUN module loaded?  I have also uploaded my diagnostics file for your reference.

Thanks for taking the time.  Unraid has been a life saver.

VM creation.png

VM Creation error.png

system info.png

Archived