We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Upgrading CPU - will this affect my Windows VM?

Ned

I want to upgrade the CPU in my unraid box to give it a bit more horsepower.  I currently have a 4-core CPU but will put in a 6-core CPU.  Will this have any impact on my Windows VM, which I currently have assigned two cores to it?  After I install the new CPU and power on, do I need to update any of the VM settings in unraid?  Will I need to do anything within Windows itself, or will it just see the change as a new CPU being installed similar to upgrading the CPU on a regular physical PC?

I want to upgrade the CPU in my unraid box to give it a bit more horsepower.  I currently have a 4-core CPU but will put in a 6-core CPU.  Will this have any impact on my Windows VM, which I currently have assigned two cores to it?  After I install the new CPU and power on, do I need to update any of the VM settings in unraid?  Will I need to do anything within Windows itself, or will it just see the change as a new CPU being installed similar to upgrading the CPU on a regular physical PC?

I have done this before on XenServer and did not need to change a thing. You should be fine as well, so long as you are not changing motherboard or anything.

I have done this before on XenServer and did not need to change a thing. You should be fine as well, so long as you are not changing motherboard or anything.

Even if you change the motherboard, it shouldn't be an issue.  The reason is that VMs aren't presented with your real physical motherboard, but rather, an emulated chipset supplied by QEMU (either i440fx or Q35).  In addition, even if reactivation is required, there is a procedure to do this without incurring any additional licensing costs:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/activation-after-cpu-upgrade/78a538db-5126-44d5-9f5d-450be1db9257?auth=1

Archived