Cache drive directory stays after move

How do I clear out or will the system clear out the directory structure on the cache drive.  The system did a move last night after I copied a dozen or so movies and other files.  This morning I looked at the cache drive and all of the files and directories had been moved to the appropriate shares, but the structure of what was on the cache drive remains.

Will this clean itself out periodically or do I need to clean it out manually.  If this needs to be done manually, can it be added to the feature list?  There really should be no reason to maintain this structure once the files have been successfully movedto the shares through the Mover program.

It does remove empty cache directories in the 4.5beta6 version...  perhaps you are running an older version?

Joe L.

I am using 4.4.2.  Not a real fan of Betas unless they are extremely stable.  If you do not believe that I should be concerned with installing the beta, then I will.

It does remove empty cache directories in the 4.5beta6 version...  perhaps you are running an older version?

Joe L.

I am using 4.4.2.  Not a real fan of Betas unless they are extremely stable.  If you do not believe that I should be concerned with installing the beta, then I will.

Completely up to you.  4.5beta6 is stable... there are a few known bugs... associated with adding more than 16 drives, and with active directory permissions.  It is the version I am running, but I am not on a corporate LAN, so I don't use any active directory authentication, and I don't have more than 16 drives...

If you are using neither, then you can upgrade and get your directories cleaned out... or, you look at this post where the newer mover script was posted, and install it yourself or...

you can live with the empty folders until you do upgrade.

As I said, it is all up to you.  The empty directories don't do any harm.

Joe L.

Hi Joe L.,

I think there is one more serious bug in 4.5beta6, and this is exactly for the cache drive function.

It is just not working at all for a lot of users(including me). To be honest I don't remember anyone who reported it is OK for him/her.

According to this, I would not recommend to upgrade if the cache function is to be used.

I think some of those people that were reporting that stuff was not moving was because of split level settings.  Not all were because of that but I think I remember reading 2-3 about it.

Sorry, I were far from precise in my former post.

The moving is OK, yes, but copying to the cache drive is at about the same speed as copying to the array directly.

@smburns25

How fast you can copy to the cache drive?

@smburns25

How fast you can copy to the cache drive?

Write speeds are all over the place.  I have seen speeds up to 55 kb/sec, but they usually range from 13 kb/sec to 33 kb/sec.  I have seen an overall improvement with the addition of the cache drive, but I have not written that much data to the array since I put in the cache drive.

I plan on ripping another 20 or so DVDs later today and I'll try to do a time trial to get a better average.  I'll post the results when I am done.

Add this to a cronjob.  find -depth -type d -empty -exec rmdir {} \;

Unfortunately, doing that at the wrong time will BREAK the movement of files from the cache drive, or even creation of new files on the cache drive.

It is possible for the suggested command to delete a newly created directory before a file is opened for writing in it.  The "write" would then fail.  It is a split second opportunity, but as we all know, it will occur. 

If you do use this as a cron job, do not do it anywhere near when the mover script is scheduled, or when writing files to the server and the cache drive is in use.

Archived