So my desktop died.. can I still access my VM?

danger781

Hey all,

So the power supply on my desktop died yesterday. I used to access my VM via the unRAID dashboard in my web browser from my desktop. Now that I am without a desktop I was hoping I would somehow still be able to access my VM. I'm running a HP MicroServer which has a built-in VGA port. There is no graphics card installed so I don't know if VGA pass-through is a possibility.

I don't believe it's possible to simply connect my monitor to the MicroServer and start working on the VM.. so what are my options here? Or am I stuck?

Thank you  :)

Hey all,

So the power supply on my desktop died yesterday. I used to access my VM via the unRAID dashboard in my web browser from my desktop. Now that I am without a desktop I was hoping I would somehow still be able to access my VM. I'm running a HP MicroServer which has a built-in VGA port. There is no graphics card installed so I don't know if VGA pass-through is a possibility.

I don't believe it's possible to simply connect my monitor to the MicroServer and start working on the VM.. so what are my options here? Or am I stuck?

Thank you  :)

Whatever device you used to post this email probably has the ability to connect to your server. There are VNC and RDP clients available for android, ios, etc.

Depending on how your work proxy works (and if you have access to it to add a "temporary" exception), you could look into port forwarding your unraid GUI for external access via VNC from your work PC.

Or

If you can access via vnc on your phone, you could enable RDP on the Windows box, port forward 3389 (check up on RDP ports, this is off the top of my head) and connect via RDP from anywhere. This would also allow RDP accesso n your local network from anything you can install an RDP client on

Thanks for the response. I guess I consider it a bit of a disadvantage not being able to simply plug in a monitor to the VGA and get working. If I did have a graphics card installed and passed through to the VM would that work? I could simply plug a monitor to the graphics card and start using the VM?

Thanks for the response. I guess I consider it a bit of a disadvantage not being able to simply plug in a monitor to the VGA and get working. If I did have a graphics card installed and passed through to the VM would that work? I could simply plug a monitor to the graphics card and start using the VM?

Yes.

Archived