[SOLVED] Would like to upgrade from unRAID version 4.5.1

I didn't use it much so i'm not familiar with my unRAID server 4.5.1 that I would like to upgrade to use on a local network with computers running windows 7 and ubuntu 14.04.

I can open the main page of the server in firefox on the computer running win7 but the server doesn't show up on the local network.

I there something that I need to do with SAMBA's settings in win7 to see the server on the network or is there a newer unRAID version with a better compatibility with the SAMBA's default settings of win7 ?

If it would be better to upgrade for better compatibility, do I need to go first with version 4.7 before upgrading to 5.0.6(-i386) or 6.1.3-x86_64 ?

(unRAID is running on a MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard with AMD athlon 64 3000+ CPU that might be compatible with version 6.1.3).

Sorry for my bad english and noob questions.

Rather than going through the => 4.7 => v6 upgrade path; I would simply save your key file;  reformat the flash drive (it has to be labeled "UNRAID"); and put a new copy of v6.1.3 on it; then copy your key file to the Config folder.

You can then boot to that; assign your data drives; and Voila!  ... You'll be running v6 with all of your data intact (as long as you assign the drives correctly).

Yes there is data but nothing that would be a problem to lose during an upgrade without a backup.

Sounds like your hardware should be able to handle v6 (although you do not mention RAM).  It should be possible to go directly to v6, particularly if you are not worried about data loss if any unexpected problems are encountered

You could try the instructions for upgrading to v6.  They might look long, but a lot of that is for handling steps beyond the basic upgrade process so do not be put off by that.  Getting onto the latest release would certainly help with support going forward.

As long as you have backed up your USB stick before starting (which is part of the process described in the link) then you can always revert if problems are encountered.

Rather than going through the => 4.7 => v6 upgrade path; I would simply save your key file;  reformat the flash drive (it has to be labeled "UNRAID"); and put a new copy of v6.1.3 on it; then copy your key file to the Config folder.

I reformatted the flash drive (Sony MicroVault 1GB) then copied all the files of v6.1.3 an ran the file "make-bootable.bat" as an administrator but the process was aborted.

The key is labeled "UNRAID" properly, but despite that "make bootable v1.2" detects the correct label (le volume dans le lecteur H s'appelle UNRAID) it returns an error saying that the volume label must be UNRAID.

CB2gkck.jpg

Weird  !

I reformatted the flash drive (Sony MicroVault 1GB) then copied all the files of v1.6.3 an ran the file "make-bootable.bat" as an administrator but the process was aborted.

The key is labeled "UNRAID" properly, but despite that "make bootable v1.2" detects the correct label (le volume dans le lecteur H s'appelle UNRAID) it returns an error saying that the volume label must be UNRAID.

Weird  !

I seem to recall this has been a problem in the past with certain Languages settings.  Some people solved the problem by temporarily setting the 'Region and Language' (found in the Control Panel)  settings to 'US English', renaming the USB key with those settings and then running the makebootable file.  After that they changed back to their desired region and language settings. 

I reformatted it again on a computer running winXP (French) by following those instructions :

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

I put back the flash drive to the server but during start up it says :

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 2014-10-06 Copyright...etc

WARNING: No configuration file found

boot: _

What am I supposed to do here to not screw up the next step ?

I reformatted it again on a computer running winXP (French) by following those instructions :

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

I put back the flash drive to the server but during start up it says :

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 2014-10-06 Copyright...etc

WARNING: No configuration file found

boot: _

What am I supposed to do here to not screw up the next step ?

The flash drive is still not configured properly or you wouldn't get that message. Try again.

When you extracted the files from the downloaded unRAID 6.1.3 zip file did you maintain the folder structure when you put them on the USB drive?    The error message almost sounds as if the syslinux folder cannot be seen.

I opened unRAID 6.1.3 zip file and copied all its content to the flash drive but it didn't work.

Since, I tried many different ways and tools with always the same error but finally was able to boot unRAID 6.1.3 by proceeding as following:

In win XP, I reinstalled unRAID 4.5.1 back to the flash drive using the old tools and files I used back in the days, then put the flash drive back in the server and successfully boot it and I was finally able to access the shared folders with a computer running win7. unRAID 4.5.1 was running fine. I did this to check that the flash drive was formated properly

I shut down the server, put the flash drive in the computer running win7, erased everything without formating the flash drive, copied again all the content of unRAID 6.1.3 zip file and tried again "make-bootable.bat" but ended up with the same error message.

I copied the content of the syslinux folder at the root of the c: of win7 and copied it to the flash drive using the command c:\syslinux.exe -ma d:

(d: is the flash drive in win7) and it worked.

I have updated make_bootable.bat to check for the volume label, independent of the Windows language and works on non-english versions.

See attachment

Ps. Maybe something for LT to consider?

Thank you bonienl, I was finally able to boot unRAID 6.1.3 before seeing your message but I download your attachment right now for later use if necessary.

I have updated make_bootable.bat to check for the volume label, independent of the Windows language and works on non-english versions.

See attachment

I finally used it and it worked fine with windows 7 french version

Now the next problem is that 4 HDDs are not showing up in v6.1.3 while there was no problem with v4.5.1.

Those 4 HDDs are IDE/PATA drives attached to a PCI card using a Silicon Image Sil0680ACLU144 chip.

See attachment

I finally used it and it worked fine with windows 7 french version

Now the next problem is that 4 HDDs are not showing up in v6.1.3 while there was no problem with v4.5.1.

Those 4 HDDs are IDE/PATA drives attached to a PCI card using a Silicon Image Sil0680ACLU144 chip.

Can you post the result of this command:

lsscsi -vgl

Did you copy your license file to the Config folder on the flash drive?

Yes, I put the "Pro.key" file in the config folder.

In "Tools" > "Registration", Flash GUID is displayed.

Can you post the result of this command:
lsscsi -vgl

It displays only 4 drives = 3x HDDs + flash drive

1x HDD connected to a SATA port of the mobo

2x HDD connected to a PATA/IDE133 port of the mobo

Those 3 HDDs are also the drives than can be assigned in "Main" > "Array Devices" but the 4x HDDs attached to the Sil0680 controller aren't showing up in the "Array Devices" even if they are showing up in the BIOS or in unRAID 4.5.1

N.B.: I don't know how to copy/paste the result of the command.

You may want to check your syslog file to see if any errors are present in the detection of your controller.

I already checked it briefly but it is pretty long and I don't have the knowledges to know what to look for exactly. And if there is an error i will not know how to solve it.

I going to give up with this version and go back to v4.5.1 as it was working fine with the Sil0680 controller.

You may want to check your syslog file to see if any errors are present in the detection of your controller.

I already check it briefly but it is pretty long and I don't have the knowledges to know what to look for exactly. And if there is an error i will not know how to solve it.

I going to give up with this version and go back to c4.5.1 as it was working fine with the Sil0680 controller.

Maybe you can post the syslog on the forum and let some of the experts here have a look and give advice. You can get the zip file using the download button on Tools -> System log.

I gave a try to v5.0.6 instead of reinstalling v4.5.1 on the flash drive to see if it will handle the Sil0680 controller and this version mounted all my drives in the GUI. I was able to fully rebuild the previous array configuration with v5.0.6.

Upgrading problem solved.

Thank you guys for your help and many thanks to you bonienl. I use your "make-bootable.bat" file again and it worked without problem with my win7 region and language settings (France/French).