GUI update ... etc.

bombz

Hello,

I am and always have been a fan of updating my flash drive manually by shutting down my server. Pulling the flash out, making a backup and then updating the server kernel version. However I thought I'd try the GUI update for a change. So I did that, and upon shutting down my server after the update, my drives stuck in a loop trying to un-mount. I tried to 'powerdown' from terminal but that didn't work either.

So I had to hard reset my server, which then detects a unclean power down, which in turn starts a parity check.

I noticed in the release notes / installation text of newer version, they only have instructions on 'how to make a FRESH flash drive' going forward would it be possible to include a installation text that also includes 'upgrading from previous versions' as well, like all older releases use to have.

Perhaps this one problem persisted just this once with the GUI update, but there is little to no instruction on this. Maybe you are suppose to stop the array before you run the GUI update? So your drives don't get stuck in a unmount loop?

I don't know, perhaps some feedback on this would be nice.

Thank you

Do you mean the update from the Plugin page?

I think the only thing it does is download the new version, backup the currently running version (which has already been loaded into RAM and continues to run until the next boot) into a backup folder, and unzips the download.

No need for stopping or anything like that since nothing actually happens to the running OS until the next boot.

You should probably investigate why you are unable to stop and reboot cleanly.

But that's the thing, there's nothing to write, nothing to add to the instructions.  Just like you have been doing, you stop the array and reboot, nothing different.  The GUI update does not change the system, only the boot files on the flash drive, and that will only apply when you NEXT boot.

I know it seems very coincidental, but it should have worked just the same as always, shut down cleanly then boot the newer version.  Something was different in this session though, that hindered a good shutdown.

Archived