file structure

Hi everyone, new trial user here, soon to be full user. I'm really liking what i'm seeing here compared to the past few weeks staring at freenas,nas4free ,windows server and drobo videos lol. I just have a few quick questions.

Would it be better to set up a single share (ie house share) with multiple folders within it (video,audio ,pdf ect)

or would you do away with the top house share and create multiple shares ie one for each of the different folders. Sounds simple I know, but I would like to see any pitfalls before I start transferring terabytes of data THX.

Some benefits re: security and users, each share can have its own user list and privileges.

As far as messing up and having to recopy stuff, that's really not an issue with one big share vs multiple smaller ones. Shares are defined by folder structures, so changing what share contains a file doesn't have to mean it moves from one drive to another, just a quick folder rename and the file is in the new share. However, if you want to keep shares organize on specific physical drives, you may have to move files from one drive to another.

Split levels are important if you want to keep subfolders of the shares confined to as few drives as possible, but if you don't care that you have 10 movie files on each drive as long as they all show up together in the movies share, then split level is fairly unimportant. Keeping like files together on as few drives as possible keeps all your drives from spinning up when you play through the share, but that means you have to pay attention to how full each individual drive is getting and set things appropriately to keep from totally filling a drive.

There is no one right way to set this up, that's why all the options are available. If you give a brief example of what you will use your server for and how you prefer to organize things we might be able to give you some suggestions.

Right now All I want is literally what I said, just a place to store my multimedia files (Audio,video), software, spreadsheets, pdf, etc .... I'm just trying to consolidate my storage since right now I have a number of external storage drives and its a mess. That being said, once I get that sorted out and filed ,I will want to stream multimedia throughout the house network while keeping my personal spreadsheets private.

Right now All I want is literally what I said, just a place to store my multimedia files (Audio,video), software, spreadsheets, pdf, etc .... I'm just trying to consolidate my storage since right now I have a number of external storage drives and its a mess. That being said, once I get that sorted out and filed ,I will want to stream multimedia throughout the house network while keeping my personal spreadsheets private.

Sounds like you would want a media share and a documents share, so you can give different permissions.

Do you care if all the data is spread evenly across all your drives, or would you rather keep like things grouped on specific physical drives?

That sounds good, I don't care where it sits as long as I can access the data. unless of course its better to segregate  the data on certain drives due to transfer rates ? or heat considerations. In which case, would I then transfer the files (drag and drop)to the individual drive folders on the main tab as opposed to the folders in the network share (which I presume would put them where ever).

This discussion is no longer theoretical as I just bought a license heh. Watching my new 6tb drive "clear" now

Watching my new 6tb drive "clear" now

How many drives are you starting with?

You say you are watching it clear, I assume that means you did not opt to use the 3rd party "pre-clear" plugin to test / burn in the new drive?

Not sure where you are in the process of setting up the server, as clearing is typically done when increasing the drive count on an already parity protected array.

4 6tb drives the other 3 were setup under the trial license the other day (1 parity / 2 storage) it went through the parity check then, server was online but maxed out due to trial limitations and time limited. I just bought a plus license a half hour ago updated my server license then was allowed to add another drive, which I did /in the process of.

4 6tb drives the other 3 were setup under the trial license the other day (1 parity / 2 storage) it went through the parity check then, server was online but maxed out due to trial limitations and time limited. I just bought a plus license a half hour ago updated my server license then was allowed to add another drive, which I did /in the process of.

That explains it. Next time you add a drive, I'd check out the preclear plugin. It will allow you to add the drive without waiting hours and hours for it to clear, plus it provides some basic diagnostics to help weed out early drive failures from shipping or manufacturing defects. You'd be surprised at the number of drives that show up with bad spots new out of the box. Windows systems can go years using a bad drive without having an issue, unraid needs the drive to be perfect the whole way through so it can be used to rebuild 1 failed drive.