Is a cache drive mandatory to run apps now in V6?

sincero

Docker / VMs will work directly off of the array (no cache drive) but speed will suffer

How much suffering are we talking here?

Not counting the faster read speed of an SSD vs. a spinner (a cache is likely to be an SSD), the basic speed penalties will be no penalty for reads, but a notable penalty on writes, due to the overhead of writing to a protected array.  Writes to the array require 4 I/O's, vs. a single I/O to write to an unprotected drive.    There ARE multiple I/O's if you're using a btrfs cache pool -- but these are typically SSD's, so these are VERY fast I/O's.

And if it isn't, what else can I use? Just one of my existing drives and let it stay spun up? Otherwise, I'm thinking of trying to jam a SSD on my eSATA port of my HP MicroServer... :)

Docker / VMs will work directly off of the array (no cache drive) but speed will suffer

Please also note that you can run your Docker / VM's off a non Array / Cache drive. I do this using the community developed plugin called 'Unassigned Devices' written and supported by Community Developer gfjardim.

It is in using this that I am able to leverage the power of unRAID, my Hardware and an SSD (which I decided to use, but you can also use a spare HDD etc lying around) to run the apps with no dependancy or performance hit to the Array or the Cache drive. I indeed also do nightly Backups of that "App Drive" as I call it, to the Array to ensure it is always backed up.

The official description of this plugin is: This plugin uses UDEV to automount and share disks that are not part of your unRAID array. Available devices are listed under "Main/Unassigned Devices" tab.

I find it to be very stable, very well supported and all round excellent.

Archived