vm lockup

jimig1

Full system lockup, requiring a hard reset. Sorry, I misread your post.

With that said, I had similar issues a while ago (not VM) with a Radeon R9 280X where it would crash if I played anything with hardware accelerated video. A Google search for "radeon crash hardware acceleration" shows this is not uncommon - it was the first and last time I bought an AMD GPU.

I fixed it by disabling hardware acceleration in anything I could find. Flash videos/objects have this option when you right-click on the video and go into options. In Chrome, there's a good chance it's using HTML5 for video playback, so you'll have to dip into the options.

You don't mention what you're using in your sig, so I'm just making an assumption here. Might be worth a go anyway.

jonp that is true i have to shut down the whole system to get the VM to start again. The lockup play video is something that just started happening and not sure why. I do plan on a new GPU soon any input if a EVGA GTX 970 is a ok card?

I have an ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Turbo which I am passing through to a Window 10 VM.  I have had a tough go with getting the VM to be stable however I think I appear to have a working, stable VM now.

Goober07 pointed out to me that you have to pass through BOTH the GPU and the Audio portion for this to be stable.  If you don't pass through both you will have some serious stability issues.

jonp that is true i have to shut down the whole system to get the VM to start again. The lockup play video is something that just started happening and not sure why. I do plan on a new GPU soon any input if a EVGA GTX 970 is a ok card?

I have an ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Turbo which I am passing through to a Window 10 VM.  I have had a tough go with getting the VM to be stable however I think I appear to have a working, stable VM now.

Goober07 pointed out to me that you have to pass through BOTH the GPU and the Audio portion for this to be stable.  If you don't pass through both you will have some serious stability issues.

It's so obvious when it's pointed out, and I've always, without thinking, included both in my VMs but I suppose if it doesn't occur to you then it probably needs to be documented better, especially as there seem to be several people who have fallen foul of this now..

It's so obvious when it's pointed out, and I've always, without thinking, included both in my VMs but I suppose if it doesn't occur to you then it probably needs to be documented better, especially as there seem to be several people who have fallen foul of this now..

I agree about the documentation. I don't remember see that in any documentation but I see how that can cause a problem.

Archived