Replacing parity drive on 6.1.6. swap, preclear, format ? (SOLVED )

datamile

Ok 6.1.6 , N40L 8gb running 3x3tb tosh drives. Parity drive is throwing Reallocated sector count ( 901 ).

I have a replacement drive.

I see the basic is

1) Stop the array and then unassign the parity drive

2) Start the array.  You should be told that it will be unprotected but go ahead anyway

3) Stop the array and assign the parity drive.

4) Start the array and unRAID should start building parity

When the parity has been built, do a parity check (which should result in 0 errors) to make sure it was written correctly.

So I'm think should I power down, pull the old parity drive from slot 3 , insert the new drive in slot 3 , but I'm not sure if that's between 1&2 or 2&3.

what about preclear and formatting or does that not occur anymore ?

My system is old 5 , so disks are reiserfs , should I make the new disk reiserfs, and just take whatever the default is given that all the data disk are reiserfs , and that I will be shortly adding a new data disk as well.

Ok 6.1.6 , N40L 8gb running 3x3tb tosh drives. Parity drive is throwing Reallocated sector count ( 901 ).

I have a replacement drive.

I see the basic is

1) Stop the array and then unassign the parity drive

2) Start the array.  You should be told that it will be unprotected but go ahead anyway

3) Stop the array and assign the parity drive.

4) Start the array and unRAID should start building parity

When the parity has been built, do a parity check (which should result in 0 errors) to make sure it was written correctly.

So I'm think should I power down, pull the old parity drive from slot 3 , insert the new drive in slot 3 , but I'm not sure if that's between 1&2 or 2&3.

what about preclear and formatting or does that not occur anymore ?

My system is old 5 , so disks are reiserfs , should I make the new disk reiserfs, and just take whatever the default is given that all the data disk are reiserfs , and that I will be shortly adding a new data disk as well.

johnnie.black has the correct advice for you but just wanted to clear some things up about your OP.

The only time a disk is required to be clear is when it will be assigned to a new data slot. This is so parity will remain valid. People often preclear new disks even if they are not required to be clear just to test them.

The filesystem is irrelevant in this case because the parity drive doesn't have a filesystem.

All of these steps 1,2,3,4 could have been combined to just Stop array, assign new parity drive, start array and rebuild. Possibly you would have shutdown after stopping to install the new parity and possibly remove the old parity, but none of that is actually required. Just assigning a different drive to the parity slot is all that's needed to make unRAID build parity to it when you start.

Archived