Windows 10 VM shutting down

mattcoughlin

Hi everyone.  Been watching the forum for about a year now and you are all very helpful.  I don't think I've had to ask a single question yet since everyone else seems to have the same problems I do and I can usually find a solution, but my current problem seems to be not covered.  I have a windows 10 VM running on my Unraid 6.1.6 server.  It was just VNC access for a long time but i have recently added a R9 290x to it and would like to use it as my HTPC.  Had a few glitches but after some research and turning on PCIe ACS override everything seemed to be running fine.  Or so i thought.  I have discovered that my VM will randomly shut itself down.  Originally it would pause itself and I found that even in high performance mode it was trying to put the hard drive to sleep. I have since rectified that problem, but can't seem to figure out why the system turns itself off.  I don't get an error or and unsafe shutdown message or anything when it is rebooted and I can't find anything in the log.  I have attached the log from the VM running twice and shutting itself down.  Both time there was 0 inputs on the VM.  It was just booted and left to idle until it shut down.  Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Windows_VM_QEMU_Log.pdf

Hi everyone.  Been watching the forum for about a year now and you are all very helpful.  I don't think I've had to ask a single question yet since everyone else seems to have the same problems I do and I can usually find a solution, but my current problem seems to be not covered.  I have a windows 10 VM running on my Unraid 6.1.6 server.  It was just VNC access for a long time but i have recently added a R9 290x to it and would like to use it as my HTPC.  Had a few glitches but after some research and turning on PCIe ACS override everything seemed to be running fine.  Or so i thought.  I have discovered that my VM will randomly shut itself down.  Originally it would pause itself and I found that even in high performance mode it was trying to put the hard drive to sleep. I have since rectified that problem, but can't seem to figure out why the system turns itself off.  I don't get an error or and unsafe shutdown message or anything when it is rebooted and I can't find anything in the log.  I have attached the log from the VM running twice and shutting itself down.  Both time there was 0 inputs on the VM.  It was just booted and left to idle until it shut down.  Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Any chance that MS is updating win 10 in the background and decided that a reboot was required? 

It has shut down multiple times and my gaming pc which also runs windows 10 has not done any updates requiring a reboot during the same time period.  As far as hardware, I have a msi z77a-gd65 mb with an i7-3770, 8GB ram (4 allocated to the vm), sapphire tri-x r9 290x, IO Crest 4 port raid card, Logitech unifying receiver dedicated to the VM, and the following hard drives: 2-6TB WD red, 2-3TB WD Green, 1-2TB WD Green, 1-3tb Seagate, and 2 500GB samsung 950 evo drives as a cache pool. I'm not sure what the XML file is or how to find it.

It has shut down multiple times and my gaming pc which also runs windows 10 has not done any updates requiring a reboot during the same time period.  As far as hardware, I have a msi z77a-gd65 mb with an i7-3770, 8GB ram (4 allocated to the vm), sapphire tri-x r9 290x, IO Crest 4 port raid card, Logitech unifying receiver dedicated to the VM, and the following hard drives: 2-6TB WD red, 2-3TB WD Green, 1-2TB WD Green, 1-3tb Seagate, and 2 500GB samsung 950 evo drives as a cache pool. I'm not sure what the XML file is or how to find it.

Other than your gaming VM with 4gb RAM allocated, do you have any other apps running on it through containers or plugins? A copy of your syslog would be helpful.

I do have Crashplan and its partner desktop docker, dropbox, and plex running.  The system is only hovering around 44% memory usage.  It jumps up to 90? percent when i start the VM but then quickly drops. I also forgot to mention i have a 4 port intel network card installed using link aggregation.

That's your issue. Too many apps and not enough RAM. In addition to the RAM the apps/VMs need to just run, you have our OS itself and all the emulation for the VM that adds overhead. Crashplan also can burst in memory usage as it encrypts backups before sending them to their target. Just too much running on that system.

Archived