Corrupt Array? Error Trying to Copy File to Disks in Array

DigitalDivide

In the last 2 weeks or so I can't seem to copy files to some of my drives.  The file is on my PC and is a large 30gb mkv file or blu ray folder.  I get about 25% of the way then I get a Network error. 

I powered down my tower and reseated all the cables etc then powered up and tried again.  Same problem.

I'v attached my syslog and smart log but not sure what to look for.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edit:  Had to only copy the bottom half of my syslog file as it was too large to attach.

smart.zip

syslog.zip

I'm seeing a lot of the following in my syslog.  The funny thing is I can't seem to copy to any of my drives anymore.  It always craps out with a Network error.  I can watch a movie or copy a movie from the server to my hard drive no problem.  Just can't copy to it.

an  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#20 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#20 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] [descriptor]

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#20 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x4

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#20 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 01 32 fb c0 00 05 40 00

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 20119216

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: ata2: EH complete

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119152

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119160

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119168

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119176

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119184

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119192

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119200

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119208

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119216

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119224

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119232

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119240

Jan  9 17:42:45 Tower kernel: md: disk7 read error, sector=20119248

I've attached half of my syslog file as the full file was too large. 

I'm starting to think my array is becomming corrupt as I can't copy to any drive anymore....

I noticed in the diagnostics 3 of my disks are not 4k aligned.  Not sure if that matters...although I wasn't copying to these disk but the 4k aligned ones...

Disk7 is the only one I looked at since that is the one that was logging errors in the snippet you posted earlier. In addition to disk7

Disk4

Serial Number:    WD-WMAZA0585469
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1

Disk8

Serial Number:    9VS14YP2
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       5

This one is OK for now.

What is the exact version of unRAID you are running? Can't tell from your syslog since it is incomplete. Current V6 would have notified you about these.

Are any of your disks actually disabled? (red X)

Post a screenshot of the Main page showing these disks.

WHen I look in the syslog I see the following which is odd as I'm pretty sure I'm running version 6...I upgraded to 6 and ran the New Permissions etc.  Not sure why I'm seeing 4.04.  I'll double check the version on the main page when I get home from work today.

Linux version 4.0.4-unRAID (root@develop64) (gcc version 4.8.2 (GCC) ) #5 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 19 22:47:24 PDT 2015

I've attached the first half of the syslog.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

syslog2.txt

Jan  9 17:23:33 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 6.0.1

I haven't run that version in many months so I don't remember whether it had notifications of SMART issues or not. Do you ever get any emails from your server?

Doesn't matter for now. I would replace disk7 first and if the rebuild goes OK replace disk4 also.

Do you have backups?

No I don't get any notifications.  No backups.  I'll have to buy one disk and replace disk 7.

I do find it strange though that I can't copy any files to disk 3 and disk 6 either.  I get the same error as copying to disk 7 "network has encountered an unexpected error" so I'm a little unsure if disk 7 is truly bad or if there is some other issue causing corruption.  Was there any issues with earlier versions of 6?

Should I start a parity check?

Is there other test I can run?

No I don't get any notifications.  No backups.  I'll have to buy one disk and replace disk 7.

I do find it strange though that I can't copy any files to disk 3 and disk 6 either.  I get the same error as copying to disk 7 "network has encountered an unexpected error" so I'm a little unsure if disk 7 is truly bad or if there is some other issue causing corruption.  Was there any issues with earlier versions of 6?

Should I start a parity check?

Is there other test I can run?

The disks need to be replaced. It's also possible you have filesystem corruption but that would be a separate issue to be dealt with after the disks are replaced. When was your last parity check?

And what about this?

Are any of your disks actually disabled? (red X or maybe still indicated by a redball on your version)

Post a screenshot of the Main page showing these disks.

No, no red X.  I'm at work right now so can't show a screenshot.  I would have definitely noticed a red x next to a drive.

My last parity was run on the 27th of Dec.  I think there were a few errors but I honestly don't remember as I was pretty busy over the holidays.

Should I rely on that parity check and just do a rebuild when I replace disk 7?

No, no red X.  I'm at work right now so can't show a screenshot.  I would have definitely noticed a red x next to a drive.

My last parity was run on the 27th of Dec.  I think there were a few errors but I honestly don't remember as I was pretty busy over the holidays.

Should I rely on that parity check and just do a rebuild when I replace disk 7?

If you had errors on your last parity check that may have been related to these other issues. I don't think there is anything to be gained by another parity check at this point.

Does the version you are running have Notification Settings? You really need to be more aware of developing issues. Chances of a completely successful recovery are much less when you have multiple disks with problems.

Since you don't have any backups if you have anything on your server that you don't have any other copies of anywhere, and that cannot be replaced, such as family photos, you should try to copy them to another computer before you do anything else. And quit trying to write to it completely.

Got home and took a look at the main page.  Definitely looks normal.  No red X anywhere.  No errors either but I suspect that's because I did a reboot at some point yesterday.  I won't be able to replace the drive until the weekend and even later for the other drive, about a month or so...

Thanks for the help!

Archived